1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrons in a uniform electric field.

1. May 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Basically, I am writing up a practical experiment dealing with Electrons in a uniform electric field (I.e. Using an electron gun).

There are two parallel plates, one with a positive charge and one with a negative charge. Between these to plates is a grid which allows for easy graphing.

It can be assumed that the electric field between the plates is uniform. A grid (with lines seperated by 1 cm) is shown. I need to use this information to determine the distance, d, between the plates and to calculate the strength of the uniform electric field, E.

How do I find out the distance between the 2 parallel plates? (Probably simplistic, it's just that I am doing this experiment based on an experiment video I watched)

The anode voltage is set to 3,000 volts.
    The graph I got was y=(.0504)(x)^1.763

2. Relevant equations

I am assuming this equation is related...

E = V/d (V is the potential difference between the plates.)

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2
    Theoretically, the equation is y=(a/2/v^2)x^2

where, a is the acceleration=eE/m
    v is the initial velocity, assumed to be parallel to the plates

If you substitute all these quantities to above equation then
    y=eE/(2mv^2)x^2

and while mv^2/2=eV with V is the voltage

y=(E/4V)x^2

You do not need the distance between 2 plates.

Here you got the power of about 1.7<2. Hmm, was the experiment held in vacuum or in some gas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?