Electrons move, causing magnetic force, find v?

In summary, electrons move through an electric field created by a difference in electric potential or an external electric force. The movement of electrons creates a magnetic field, which interacts with other magnetic fields to produce a force. The speed of electrons is determined by the strength of the electric field and resistance of the material they are traveling through. The velocity of electrons can be calculated using the equation v = E/B, where v is the velocity, E is the electric field strength, and B is the magnetic field strength. However, the velocity of electrons is not constant and can vary depending on the strength of the electric and magnetic fields they are in.
Helly123

Homework Statement

IMG_1174_1.png

IMG_1175_1.png

Homework Equations

f = q.v.B.sin tetha
I = q/t = v/R

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) q =a.b.n.v.t is it right?
(2) I = q/t = abnvt/t = abnv is it right?
(3)F = q.v.B is it right?
(4) ?
(5) ?

is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Helly123 said:
(2) I = q/t = abnvt/t = abnv is it right?
(3)F = q.v.B is it right?
Right so far.
What do you think about (4) and (5)?

4&5 can you give me clue?

nabvt gives you the number of electrons passing in a given amount of time, t. So nabv gives you the number of electrons per second. Each electron has a charge -q, so this must be multiplied to get the current (charge/time). Volts are Joules/Coulomb = Newton*meters/Coulomb, if that helps you on #4.
You can rearrange that so that Force = Volts*Coulomb / meter, then see if you can find what fits that. Once you have an expression for V, you should be able to find the last one.

Likes Helly123
4) Volts = joules/Coulomb
Volts = F/q
V=Bvq/q
V=Bv??

5) q=abnvt
I=q/t
I=abnv
n=I/abv
n=I/ab.V/B
n=IB/abV

What's wrong on this?

Helly123 said:
4) Volts = joules/Coulomb
Volts = F/q
A force is not an energy.

Likes scottdave
mfb said:
A force is not an energy.
I've looked at the link you gave me.

V = joule (energy)/coulombs --- which is the energy?
joule can be force * distance
V = force * distance / coulombs
which is the distance?

In which direction does the force (calculated in 3) go? What is the corresponding distance where the voltage difference appears?

Likes Helly123
Using the right hand rule, in which direction is the force acting on the electrons (from F = qv x B)? Since work is the dot product of Force and the distance traveled, I think you should look for the distance in the same direction done. This is an interesting problem. I have not seen some of these terms expressed like this, but it gets you to thinking about how things are related.

Likes Helly123
I understand.
4) Voltage = Joules/C = force*distance / coulombs
V = f . distance / q
V= B*v*q . b / q
V = B*v . b
distance found by right hand rule, F go trough width which is b.

5) q = abnvt
n = q/abvt I=q/t
n = I/abv V = B*v*b --> v = V/Bb
n = I / (ab)V/Bb
n = IBb/abV
n = IB/aV ---> but answer is still wrong.. which is wrong?

Helly123 said:
distance found by right hand rule, F go trough width which is b.
Right.
Helly123 said:
n = q/abvt
It is useful to put brackets around denominators: n=q/(abvt). Otherwise you could misinterpret it as ##n=\frac q a bvt##.
Helly123 said:
n = IB/aV
Right.
Why do you think it is wrong?

Likes Helly123
mfb said:
Right.It is useful to put brackets around denominators: n=q/(abvt). Otherwise you could misinterpret it as ##n=\frac q a bvt##.Right.
Why do you think it is wrong?
why... you sure it's right?

If you replace n by ##\frac 1 {A_H}##, it is the usual formula for the Hall effect. The Hall constant as inverse electron density takes into account that not all electrons contribute to current flow.

Likes Helly123
mfb said:
If you replace n by ##\frac 1 {A_H}##, it is the usual formula for the Hall effect. The Hall constant as inverse electron density takes into account that not all electrons contribute to current flow.
I meant, the key answer is n = BI/aqV... but I don't think the key answer is wrong.

Ah, n is the electrons per volume, not the charge density. Then you need the factor q in the answer (this also applies to question 2).
In that case your notation for q is a bit strange.
Helly123 said:
q in the problem statement is a charge. What you calculate here is a number.

Likes Helly123
mfb said:
Ah, n is the electrons per volume, not the charge density. Then you need the factor q in the answer (this also applies to question 2).
In that case your notation for q is a bit strange.q in the problem statement is a charge. What you calculate here is a number.
i still don't get it. What is n stands for? And n actually what? And my answer for 1 and 2 are they right?

n is something like "5/m3" (just with a larger number for actual materials) - the density of electrons.

qn is something like "5C/m3" - a charge density.
Helly123 said:
And my answer for 1 and 2 are they right?
1 is right, 2 needs an additional factor q.

Likes Helly123

1. How do electrons move?

Electrons move through an electric field, which can be created by a difference in electric potential or by an external electric force.

2. What is the cause of magnetic force?

The movement of electrons creates a magnetic field, which interacts with other magnetic fields to produce a force.

3. What determines the speed of electrons?

The speed of electrons is determined by the strength of the electric field and the resistance of the material they are traveling through.

4. How can I calculate the velocity of electrons?

The velocity of electrons can be calculated using the equation v = E/B, where v is the velocity, E is the electric field strength, and B is the magnetic field strength.

5. Is the velocity of electrons constant?

No, the velocity of electrons can vary depending on the strength of the electric and magnetic fields they are in.