Electrostatic fields- What defines an electrostatic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a given set of equations could represent an electrostatic field. The participants mention using techniques such as calculating divergence and curl, applying Faraday's law, and considering the physical implications of a static charge. They also refer to resources such as the textbook "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths. Ultimately, they conclude that an electrostatic field would have no curl and a divergence in the same direction for each component, and the divergence is related to Gauss's law.
KiNGGeexD
I have a question about electrostatic fields!

I was given these two equationsE= k [xy xˆ + 2yz yˆ + 3xz zˆ]

E= k[y^2 xˆ+ (2xy+ z^2)+ 2yzzˆ]

And asked to determine if either could be an electrostatic field, I'm not asking how to solve this problem but I'm not sure what defines an electrostatic field!

I have heard vector and scalar fields being mentioned and I know that curl and divergence pertain to vector fields and gradient to scalar fields:)

My initial thought was to calculate divergence and curl and draw conclusions from there?

I've combed through passages on my textbook and notes and can't find an explicit answer as to what defines an electrostatic field (other than static point charges)!Any help would be great :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I also missed out my "y" unit vector in the second expression, apologies

Try applying Faraday's law.

I thought that but it hasnt been mentioned in lectures so I was hesitant

I'm assuming manipulation of the functions is where the answer is, so is there no relationship between curl, divergence and gradient and electrostatics?

Just think of what a static field means. Think of what it implies about the direction of the field lines. If I have a stationary charge (static), what would I expect its divergence to look like? What about its curl?

I would expect curl to be zero?

And divergence to be positive or well rather the same in all directions

KiNGGeexD said:
I would expect curl to be zero?

And divergence to be positive or well rather the same in all directions

Correct, now go one step further and think about what the divergence implies about the physical charge in space, and what you would expect to happen when you move the charge. Compare what you think to Maxwell's Equations (Gauss' Law and Faraday's Law)

I know if the charge were moved the field would remain unchanged

Are you sure about that?

Not anymore haha! So would if charges were moved the field could potentially develop a curl and differ in divergence

KiNGGeexD said:
Not anymore haha! So would if charges were moved the field could potentially develop a curl and differ in divergence

Well the divergence would remain unchanged, but yes, a curl would develop. This curl is a time-varying magnetic field. Charges in motion produce time-varying magnetic fields!

That makes complete sense!

So to I would know if I had an electrostatic field if it had no curl, and if it's divergence was in the same direction for each component?

Would gradient not then be in the radial direction of the field as well in this case?

KiNGGeexD said:
I was given these two equations

E= k [xy xˆ + 2yz yˆ + 3xz zˆ]

E= k[y^2 xˆ+ (2xy+ z^2)+ 2yzzˆ]

And asked to determine if either could be an electrostatic field

This is Problem 2.20 in Griffiths, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" (3rd ed.).

I've combed through passages on my textbook

If you're using Griffiths, flip back to section 2.2.4, "The Curl of E". :wink:

It just so happens I am using Griffiths haha!

Thanks a bunch friend! I appreciate it

KiNGGeexD said:
and if it's divergence was in the same direction for each component?

Divergence (##\vec \nabla \cdot \vec E##) is a scalar. It doesn't have a direction. As for whether the divergence needs to be anything in particular, what is the divergence related to, via Gauss's Law?

Divergence is related to Gauss law asΔ.E= ρ/εo

Whoops that was supposed to be del, not delta

1. What is an electrostatic field?

An electrostatic field is an area of space in which electrically charged particles experience a force. This force, known as the electrostatic force, is caused by the interaction between the charged particles and the electric field.

2. How is an electrostatic field defined?

An electrostatic field is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle at a given point in space. It is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

3. What determines the strength of an electrostatic field?

The strength of an electrostatic field is determined by the magnitude and distribution of the electric charges within the field. The greater the charge or the closer the charges are to each other, the stronger the electrostatic field will be.

4. How is an electrostatic field different from a magnetic field?

While both electrostatic and magnetic fields involve the interaction of charged particles, they differ in their sources and behavior. Electrostatic fields are created by stationary electric charges, whereas magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. Additionally, electrostatic fields only exert a force on charged particles, while magnetic fields can also exert a force on moving charged particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrostatic fields?

Electrostatic fields have a wide range of practical applications, such as in electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control, inkjet printers, and photocopiers. They are also used in industrial processes, such as electrostatic painting and powder coating. Additionally, electrostatic fields play a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors.