Can't solve an equation (Deflection of electrons in electrostatic field)

In summary, you are trying to solve for the z-coordinate of an electron in an electrostatic field. You are using the equation s=(-eV2t^2)/(2dm) to find the deflection. t^2 is incorrect, so you should use t. You then use equation (1) to find the electron's distance from the field.
Caroline Stuart
Homework Statement
Hello everyone!
I've tried everything but the equation (3) in "Deflection of electrons in electrostatic field" is impossible. Can someone at least hint me to a a way the composed it ?
Relevant Equations
Relevant equation is in the file
Hello everyone!
I've tried everything but the equation (3) in "Deflection of electrons in electrostatic field" is impossible. Can someone at least hint me to a a way the composed it ?

Attachments

• Electrons in electric field.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 200
Physics news on Phys.org
Equation (3) seems clear enough. What exactly are you trying to do? What do you mean when you say "Can't solve an equation"? Do you have a series of measurements of the deflection at different values of V2?

Likes Caroline Stuart
When i follow the instructions of how to make it s(z) which is equation (3) they say combine equation (1) and equation (2) to make it. My question is how did they do it exactly, can you take me through the steps cause when I attempted it it gave me completely different result.

measurements for V2 are irrelevant they are just voltages which deflect path of electron and i would have to record them via measuring length in bubble chamber where electron beam is projected.

Caroline Stuart said:
When i follow the instructions of how to make it s(z) which is equation (3) they say combine equation (1) and equation (2) to make it. My question is how did they do it exactly, can you take me through the steps cause when I attempted it it gave me completely different result.

Why don't you show me what you got? What did you get for [itex] t^2[/itex]? What did you get for E?

Likes Caroline Stuart
t(squared)=2ms/(-eE), E is either -V2/d or 2ms/(-et(squared))

Caroline Stuart said:
measurements for V2 are irrelevant they are just voltages which deflect path of electron and i would have to record them via measuring length in bubble chamber where electron beam is projected.
Why do you say "measurements for V2 are irrelevant"? You are supposed to measure the value of s for different values of V2.

Caroline Stuart said:
t(squared)=2ms/(-eE), E is either -V2/d or 2ms/(-et(squared))
No. It tells you that [itex] v= \sqrt{\frac{2 e V_1}{m}}[/itex] and [itex]z=v t[/itex]. Use those two to calulate t. And you are correct that [itex] E = \frac{V_2}{d}[/itex]

Likes etotheipi
V2 in the formula in the formula doesn't have a numerical value at a given moment - this is why I said its irrelevant, before i proceed to taking measurements i have to understand how to get to formula (3) algebraically

As i said already did that, i can read, and i got 4meVz/-eEm instead of formula (3) could you please suggest where I've gone wrong?

Caroline Stuart said:
As i said already did that, i can read, and i got 4meVz/-eEm instead of formula (3) could you please suggest where I've gone wrong?
I'm trying to help. When you did that, what did you get for [itex] t^2 [/itex]? In post #6, you said t(squared)=2ms/(-eE), and that's wrong.

so what is correct formula for t squared?

Caroline Stuart said:
so what is correct formula for t squared?
Do what I said in post #8 and tell me what you get.

Likes Caroline Stuart
sorry didnt see your reply at post 8, I am new to it, i see it now

what is z exactly, is a coordinate axis?

z is the distance in the direction the electrons are propagating, right to left in the drawing. s is the distance they get deflected, up or down in the drawing.

t=z/v; if v equals square root of (2eV/m) then t equals (z*square root of m)/(square root of 2eV)

what do i do then?

Caroline Stuart said:
t=z/v; if v equals square root of (2eV/m) then t equals (z*square root of m)/(square root of 2eV)
That's correct. Remeber it is V1, not V. So then what is t^2? And since you correctly said that E=V2/d, what do you get when you plug those into equation (1)?

t squared is 2eV1 over m;

s=(-2e^2V1V2)/(2dm^2)

Caroline Stuart said:
t squared is 2eV1 over m;
No. Try again. If [itex] t = z\sqrt{\frac{m}{2e V_1}}[/itex], what is [itex] t^2 [/itex]?

its (z^2)*m/(2eV1)

Caroline Stuart said:
its (z^2)*m/(2eV1)
Good! Now plug that and your exprssion for E into equation (1). What do you get for s?

but how have you deduced that t= z times square root m/(2eV1) ?

Caroline Stuart said:
but how have you deduced that t= z times square root m/(2eV1) ?
You told me that in post #17!

s=(-eV2t^2)/(2dm) for post 24

post 27 is wrong it should be: s=(-e^2V1V2)/(dm^2) for post 24

I got it eventually Thank you, ur Genius.

Glad I could help. Good luck!

Likes hutchphd

1. What is the equation for deflection of electrons in an electrostatic field?

The equation for deflection of electrons in an electrostatic field is F = qE, where F is the force acting on the electron, q is the charge of the electron, and E is the strength of the electrostatic field.

2. How do you solve for the deflection of electrons in an electrostatic field?

To solve for the deflection of electrons in an electrostatic field, you need to know the values of F, q, and E. You can then use the equation F = qE to calculate the force acting on the electron. The deflection of the electron can then be determined by using the equation d = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the electron and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect the deflection of electrons in an electrostatic field?

The deflection of electrons in an electrostatic field is affected by the strength of the electrostatic field, the charge of the electron, the mass of the electron, and the velocity of the electron.

4. Can the deflection of electrons in an electrostatic field be controlled?

Yes, the deflection of electrons in an electrostatic field can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electrostatic field or by changing the charge or velocity of the electron. This is often done in experiments to study the behavior of electrons in different conditions.

5. How is the deflection of electrons in an electrostatic field used in real-world applications?

The deflection of electrons in an electrostatic field is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in cathode ray tubes (CRTs) for televisions and computer monitors, electron microscopes, and particle accelerators. Understanding and controlling the deflection of electrons in these devices is crucial for their proper functioning.