Electrostatic force using vectors

In summary, to solve for the force (AonB) and its magnitude, you can use the equation F = (k)(Qa)(Qb)/(r^2) (r^), where r^ is the unit vector pointing from A to B. To find this unit vector, you can subtract the position vectors of A and B and divide by the magnitude of the resulting vector. Similarly, for the force (BonA) or F_BA, you would subtract the position vectors of B and A and divide by the magnitude of the resulting vector. This is because the direction of the force is determined by the direction of the unit vector, which is determined by the position of the charges. Remember to also consider Newton's
pcleary

Homework Statement

Charge A is +2C and is located at <4,0,0>
Charge B is +12.5C and is located at <0,-3,0>

What is the the Force(AonB)
What is the magnitude of F(AonB)

Homework Equations

F = (k)(Qa)(Qb)/(r^2) (r^)

For reference the answers are

< -0.8k, 0.6k, 0 > N (F vector)

and

1k N (magnitude)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am confused as to how to solve this problem. I don't know if maybe it is worded strangely or what but I am not getting those answers.

I did a lot of these problems but not with vectors. How do you apply the answer you get into a vector. The equation is given as r(hat) after the regular F equation. Does this mean I distribute my answer into i+j+k? I am assuming the answer to that is no because that makes no sense mathematically.

This is not a homework problem it is a practice problem. I am trying to learn physics and would really appreciate if someone could explain how you apply your F into vector notation and how this particular problem can be solved so I can learn. I am sure it is something simple that I am just not getting and my teacher didn't explain properly (in class we never did any with vectors).

Physics news on Phys.org
pcleary said:

Homework Statement

Charge A is +2C and is located at <4,0,0>
Charge B is +12.5C and is located at <0,-3,0>

What is the the Force(AonB)
What is the magnitude of F(AonB)

Homework Equations

F = (k)(Qa)(Qb)/(r^2) (r^)

For reference the answers are

< -0.8k, 0.6k, 0 > N (F vector)

and

1k N (magnitude)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am confused as to how to solve this problem. I don't know if maybe it is worded strangely or what but I am not getting those answers.

I did a lot of these problems but not with vectors. How do you apply the answer you get into a vector. The equation is given as r(hat) after the regular F equation. Does this mean I distribute my answer into i+j+k? I am assuming the answer to that is no because that makes no sense mathematically.

Yes, you need to write up the force in x,y,z components F=Fxi+Fyj+Fzk, or <Fx,Fy,Fz>

pcleary said:
This is not a homework problem it is a practice problem. I am trying to learn physics and would really appreciate if someone could explain how you apply your F into vector notation and how this particular problem can be solved so I can learn. I am sure it is something simple that I am just not getting and my teacher didn't explain properly (in class we never did any with vectors).

The vector "r^" is the unit vector pointing from A to B when you want the force exerted by charge at A to the charge at B. The vector pointing to B from A is the difference of the position vectors r=rB-rA=<0,-3,0>-<4,0,0> (or rB-rA=-3j-4i). You need to divide this vector with its magnitude to get the unit vector r^. "r" means the magnitude of the vector r.

ehild

Ah that makes a lot more sense now. So the reason I am finding the unit vector is I need a vector that is pointing in the same direction as the Force caused by these two charges.

Whenever I see r hat from now on that is referring to the unit vector, correct?

Problem worked out perfectly after that. I really appreciate the help.

Also just for clarification. If the question had asked for the F (BonA) or F_BA it then the difference would be the unit vector being composed from A - B or <4,-3,0> and of course the magnitude would be the same (5).

So the F_BA would have been <4/5 ke, -3/5 ke, 0>
Could you explain why that is the case? As in why would two positive charges cause one to go in the positive X (AonB) and the other in the negative X (BonA) direction? And why are would both have the same Y component? I just want to get a better understanding of what I am doing. I hate to memorize formulas and plug things in I would rather understand the concept.

Once again thank you very much for the explanation I truly appreciate it.

Last edited:
pcleary said:
If the question had asked for the F (BonA) or F_BA it then the difference would be the unit vector being composed from A - B

Correct.

or <4,-3,0>

Check your arithmetic. :smile:

As a reality check, remember Newton's Third Law of Motion. The force that B exerts on A must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force that A exerts on B.

Ah you're right. Thank you it all makes sense now! I really appreciate both of your help.

What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force that exists between electrically charged particles. It is a fundamental force of nature and is responsible for many interactions between objects.

How is electrostatic force calculated?

The magnitude of electrostatic force between two charged particles is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the direction of electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the force is along the line connecting the two charged particles, and it is attractive when the charges are of opposite signs and repulsive when the charges are of the same sign.

How can electrostatic force be manipulated?

Electrostatic force can be manipulated by changing the magnitude or the distance between the charged particles. This can be achieved by altering the charge of the particles or by physically moving them closer or further apart.

What are some real-life applications of electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force has many practical applications, including the functioning of batteries, the operation of electronic devices, and the creation of lightning. It is also used in industries such as painting, air purification, and printing.