1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Potential inside sphere of uniform charge.

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    1. Given a sphere of uniform charge Q, radius R: Find an expression for the electrostatic potential V as a function of r for r ≤ R.
    Prior proof: E= Q(r)/(4πϵ0)r^2 ,for r≤R where Q(r) is the excess charge in the spherical volume of radius r

2. Relevant equation: V = Q/(4πϵ0)r

3. I tried integrating for spheres of radius ri over 0 - R where ∆Qi is each small bit of charge and ∆Qi = (Q/V)∆Vi giving (3Qr2/R3)∆r.
    My eventual answer resulted in (Q/4πϵ0)(R3 - r3)

I know there's some form of integral involved, but i'm not sure what/where.
    The answer (shown on the answers) is shown to be V (r) = [Q/(8πϵ0R3)](3R2 - r2) but no working is provided, and I can't for the life of me figure out what they did. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    I tried this method:
    [tex] V(r) - V(R) = \int_{R}^r E.dr [/tex] where [tex] E = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Q}{r^2} [/tex]

But I only end up with factors of [tex] \frac{1}{R} [/tex] and [tex] \frac{1}{r} [/tex]

Am I approaching the problem wrong? Should I be integrating over a different domain?

Considering the answer: [tex] V(r) = \frac{Q}{8\pi\epsilon_{0}R^3}(3R^2 - r^2) [/tex]
    I don't get which integral could give the difference in scalar in front of r and R, nor where the bottom factor of [tex] R^3 [/tex] comes from?

I also tried:
    [tex] \eta = \frac{Q}{V} = \frac{3Q}{4\pi R^3} \Rightarrow \Delta Q_{i} = \frac{3Q}{4\pi R^3}\Delta V_{i} = \frac{3Q}{4\pi R^3}4\pi r^2\Delta r [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow V(r) = \frac{3Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R^3}\int_{R}^r r^2 dr [/tex]

Which is closer, but still evades the factor of 3 infront of R, and the factor of 8 on the bottom, and the powers of r and R are incorrect. =S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook