Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Potential over all space

1. Aug 20, 2012 #1
    If I have a sphere with radius R which has a charge distribution given by

[itex]\rho(r)=\frac{5Q}{\pi R^{5}}r(r-R)[/itex]

and [itex]\rho = 0 [/itex] at r bigger or equal to R, how do I find the electrostatic potential of this overall space? There is a charge Q, in addition, at the origin.

My original thought was to just do the usual and use

[itex]V(r)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int \frac{\rho(r')}{r}dt'[/itex],

which if I am correct the integration goes from 0 to R, correct. Or does it extend from infinity in to R? This has never made much sense to me. Somebody help me out with this idea. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2
    Or do I integrate from 0 to R, plus integrate from R to r? That seems a lot more in line with "over all-space". . . let me know your thoughts.

4. Aug 21, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For the potential at a given radius r, you can neglect all charges outside (r'>r) and assume that all charges inside are at r'=0. This is similar to gravity, and follows from the spherical symmetry.

Therefore, for radius r, [itex]\frac{dV(r)}{dr}=\frac{Q(r)}{r^2}[/itex] with prefactors depending on your units. Q(r) is the total charge up to radius r: [itex]Q(r)=Q_0 + \int_0^r 4 \pi r'^2 \rho(r') dr'[/itex].
    You can find an analytic expression for Q(r), this can be used in the first equation, and another integration will give you the potential.

5. Aug 21, 2012 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'd rather solve the differential equation (written in Heaviside-Lorentz units)
    [tex]\Delta \Phi=-\rho.[/tex]
    Since the charge distribution is radially symmetric, you can make the ansatz in spherical coordinates,
    [tex]\Phi(\vec{x})=\Phi(r).[/tex]
    Then from the Laplacian in spherical coordinates you get
    [tex]\Delta \Phi=\frac{1}{r^2} [r^2 \Phi'(r)]',[/tex]
    and the equation becomes an ordinary differential equation, which you have to solve with the appropriate boundary conditions. This leads to mfb's solution (modulo a sign and prefactors depending on the system of units used).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook