Electrostatic interaction inside and outside the source

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electrostatic interaction between an electron and a nucleus, taking into account the possibility of the electron being inside the nucleus. The resulting integral includes both the electron and nuclear coordinates, as well as the nuclear radius. To simplify the function, it can be expanded using Legendre polynomials, with the smaller coordinate in the numerator.
kelly0303
Hello! I want to get the electrostatic interaction (between and electron and a nucleus), while accounting for the fact that the electron can also be inside the nucleus (e.g. in an S##_{1/2}## state). I ended up with this double integral:

$$\int_{r_e=0}^{r_e=\infty}\int_{r_n=0}^{r_n=R}\frac{\rho(r_n)}{|r_e-r_n|}d^3r_ed^3r_n$$

where ##r_e## and ##r_n## are the electron and nuclear coordinates and ##R## is the nuclear radius. Please note that we are not necessarily assuming that the nucleus is a perfect sphere (although it is usually very close to it). How can I expand the ##\frac{1}{|r_e-r_n|}## and get this into a simpler form that I can also truncate as needed? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
That function is expanded in Legendre polynomials as
$$\frac{1}{|{\bf r}-{\bf r'}|}=\sum_l\frac{r'^l}{r^{l+1}}P_l(\cos\theta)$$,
with the smaller r in the numerator.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is electrostatic interaction?

Electrostatic interaction is a force that exists between charged particles. It can be attractive or repulsive depending on the charges of the particles involved.

2. How does electrostatic interaction occur inside a source?

Inside a source, electrostatic interaction occurs between the positively and negatively charged particles present. These particles are constantly moving and interacting with each other, resulting in the transfer of electric charges.

3. What is the role of electrostatic interaction outside a source?

Outside a source, electrostatic interaction plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of charged particles in the surrounding environment. It can cause particles to attract or repel each other, leading to various phenomena such as static electricity or lightning.

4. How is electrostatic interaction affected by distance?

The strength of electrostatic interaction decreases with increasing distance between charged particles. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. Can electrostatic interaction be shielded or blocked?

Yes, electrostatic interaction can be shielded or blocked by using materials that conduct electricity. These materials allow the charges to flow through them, reducing the overall electrostatic force between the particles.