1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Printer and two plate capacitors deflecting charged ink droplets

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One type of ink-jet printer, called an electrostatic ink-jet printer, forms letters by using deflecting electrodes to steer charged ink drops up and down vertically as the ink jet sweeps horizontally across the page. The ink jet forms 30-μm-diameter drops of ink, charged them by spraying 800,000 electrons on the surface, and shoots them toward the page at a speed of 20 m/s. Along the way, the drops pass through two parallel electrodes that are 6.0 mm long, 4.0 mm wide, and spaced 1.0 mm apart. The distance from the center of the plates to the paper is 2.0 cm. To form the letters which have a maximum hieght of 6.0 mm, the drops need to be deflected up or down at maximum if 3.0 mm. Ink, which consists of dye particles suspended in alcohol, has a density of 800 kg.m^3

What amount of charge is needed on each electrode to produce this electric field

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know qE/m, I found m and q and also E via part A I solved, but now I'm stumped, can anyone give me hand?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How long will a drop take to reach the paper? What vertical velocity will it need to achieve the desired deflection? How long does it have to acquire that velocity? What acceleration does that imply?

4. Nov 9, 2012 #3
    Doesn't it follow a parabolic trajectory between the plates, sort of acting like a stronger gravitational field?

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure, but most of the deflection (in terms of distance, as opposed to angle) will occur across the 2cm gap to the paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook