Hi, could someone tell me why you get a shock from contact with a conductor when you are charged and not from an insulator. As I understand it, if you become charged by friction then you have an excess of charge. Let's say I have gained electrons from another material I have rubbed against. If I go to touch a metal door handle, the charge build up is so high that electrons ionize the air and jump onto the door handle. This I understand. But why don't you get a shock from, say, a wooden table. If the charge build up is high enough to ionize air between me and the table they why can't they flow onto the table? Especially if charges can jump off of insulators, why can't they also jump onto insulators? Surely a wooden table would be at a lower potential difference so why can't the electrons jump onto the table (if the air is ionized)?