Electrostatics - electric potential and field strength (dielectric)

In summary: Maybe I misunderstand "qv".I don't think you are doing any integrals. You just need to use the standard results for fields inside and outside spherically symmetric distributions. All you need to figure out is the charge inside a shell of radius r.
polibuda
Homework Statement
The space between two concentric spheres with radii r1 and r2 (r1 <r2) is filled with a space charge with a volume density qv. Determine the dependence of the electric field strength E (r) and the potential V (r) throughout the space.
Relevant Equations
E(r), V(r)
Could somebody check my solution?

Attachments

• task.png
    task.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 129
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It's E=-dV/dr (in a 1-D problem) and not V=dE/dr

Likes polibuda
Should I use this pattern? Is something else to correct in my solution?
1605899788567.png

Better yet:$$V(A)-V(B)=- \int_B^A \vec E \cdot d \vec l $$

Likes Delta2 and polibuda
In second case the integration limits: A=r1, B=r2?
In third case the integration limits: A=r2, B=infinity?

The most common choice if you want "The Potential" is B=infinity and A=r (generic)

Likes polibuda
Gordianus said:
The most common choice if you want "The Potential" is B=infinity and A=r (generic)
Ok, but I need to check three cases. What with the sceond? Should it be A=r1, B=r2?

You have different functions that define E in each region. Think how to split the integral. Remember, the potential must be continuous.

Ok, in case, where r1<=r<=r2:
1605904662911.png

polibuda said:
Ok, in case, where r1<=r<=r2:
View attachment 272838
You want the potential at radius r. The above expression will give the potential difference between radii r1 and r2.

First find the potential at the outer radius, then consider the potential difference between there and some smaller radius r.
For the second step, you may find it less confusing to introduce a variable of integration, s, r<s<r2.

Likes polibuda
haruspex said:
First find the potential at the outer radius
Do you mean r2? Wchich pattern I should use?
This one:
$$V(A)-V(B)=- \int_B^A \vec E \cdot d \vec l $$ ?
Is E equal to electric field from third case or second?
I'm sorry for my stupid questions, but I can't understand this task.

polibuda said:
Is E equal to electric field from third case or second?
What do you think? Of the radii 0, r1, r2, ∞, at which do you know the potential immediately (by common convention)?

Last edited:
$$\boxed{V(B)-V(A)=-\int_A^B\vec E\cdot d\vec s\Leftrightarrow V(B)=V(A)-\int_A^B\vec E\cdot d\vec s}$$
When you integrate ##-\vec E\cdot d\vec s##, you first find an antiderivative ##V(r)=f(r)+C##, and then you perform the usual subtraction ##V(r_B)-V(r_A)##. You can clearly see that ##C## disappears whatever its value is.

What people usually do is define ##C## such that ##\lim_{r\to\infty}V(r)=0##.
When ##r\to\infty##, which region are you in? So what's ##\vec E(r)##? Use it to find an antiderivative ##V(r)=f(r)+C##, and make ##C## verify the above condition.

Likes polibuda
Guys we are talking about the potential as the integral of the E-field, but I think his expressions for the E-field in cases 2 and 3 are incorrect, what do you think?

Likes polibuda
Delta2 said:
Guys we are talking about the potential as the integral of the E-field, but I think his expressions for the E-field in cases 2 and 3 are incorrect, what do you think?
You are sure. I forgot in task is given qv=a/r^2. I determined a new E-field in cases 2 and 3.

Attachments

• task.png
    task.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 97
polibuda said:
You are sure. I forgot in task is given qv=a/r^2. I determined a new E-field in cases 2 and 3.
I think you still do the same mistake in case 2. You integrate from ##r_1## to ##r_2## in that integral but then you take your gaussian surface to be of another radius ##r##. The charge enclosed by this gaussian surface is the charge from ##r_1## to ##r## so i believe the limits of integration in the integral should be from ##r_1## to ##r##. To make a long story short, where you have ##r_2## you should replace it by ##r##. That's what i think but i might be wrong cause i haven't slept well and i can't think clearly. Better wait for the other members to share their thoughts on this.

Likes polibuda
polibuda said:
I don't know why you are doing any integrals to find the fields. Just use the standard results for fields inside and outside spherically symmetric distributions. All you need to figure out is the charge inside a shell of radius r.

haruspex said:
I don't know why you are doing any integrals to find the fields. Just use the standard results for fields inside and outside spherically symmetric distributions. All you need to figure out is the charge inside a shell of radius r.
But the charge is equal to qv*volume, so I need to do integral.

Likes Delta2
What now with this potential? I have no r in my formula of electric potential, so I'm doing something wrong. The big R is a radius beacuse of Gauss.
1606037836496.png

Last edited:
polibuda said:
But the charge is equal to qv*volume, so I need to do integral.
Maybe I misunderstand "qv". I have been taking that to be a constant charge density, as in qv. If so, what is the charge inside radius r? If not, please explain what it is.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy that a charged particle possesses in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric field strength?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charged particle, while electric field strength is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. Electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge, while electric field strength is the force per unit charge.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field strength?

The relationship between electric potential (V) and electric field strength (E) is given by the equation V = Ed, where d is the distance between the two points. This means that the electric field strength is the gradient of the electric potential, and the direction of the electric field is always perpendicular to the equipotential lines.

4. How does a dielectric material affect electric potential and field strength?

A dielectric material is an insulating material that can be placed between two charged plates to increase the capacitance of a capacitor. It affects electric potential and field strength by reducing the electric field between the plates, resulting in a decrease in potential difference and a decrease in electric field strength.

5. How is electric potential and field strength used in practical applications?

Electric potential and field strength are used in a variety of practical applications, including in electrical circuits, electronic devices, and power generation. They are also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, and in electrostatic precipitators to remove pollutants from industrial emissions. Understanding and manipulating electric potential and field strength is essential in many areas of science and technology.