Elementary Differential Forms Question

In summary, 1-forms map tangent vectors to the base field, such as the real or complex numbers. This means that dx, dy, and dz pick out the x, y, and z components of tangent vectors in a 3-dimensional coordinate system. In Euclidean space, the tangent space can be naturally identified with the space itself, causing confusion. However, working with 1-forms on a surface can help clarify this concept. It should be noted that these 1-forms do not perform orthogonal projections, as they do not require a metric to act on vectors.
mindarson
Let me preface by saying I am a physics major. So I am coming at differential forms from the perspective of physics, i.e. work, flows, em fields, etc.

My question is this. My understanding is that a basic 1-form dx, dy, or dz takes a vector v = (v1,v2,v3) and gives back the corresponding component of that vector, i.e. the size of that vector's projection onto the corresponding coordinate axis. The complete 1-form, then, such as phi = Adx + Bdy + Cdz, is the sum of multiples of these projection sizes, where the coefficients are functions of x,y,z.

My confusion is regarding which vector space these projections "occur" in: R^3, the tangent space or the dual space? In any case, how is it possible to project onto the x, y, or z axes within the tangent or dual spaces? Wouldn't the "axes" in the dual space be the "dx-axis", etc.?

Or am I just confusing myself unnecessarily by assuming that the 1-form and the projection (or the input vector and the projection) have to be in the same space?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
the "projections" occur as projections onto tangent space bases. that is, {e1,..., en} situated at a point p

mindarson said:
My confusion is regarding which vector space these projections "occur" in: R^3, the tangent space or the dual space?

Thanks for your help.

1 forms map tangent vectors into the base field - either the real numbers or the complex numbers.

For instance dx,dy,and dz pick out the x,y, and z components of tangent vectors to a 3 dimensional coordinate system.

In Euclidean space this can get confusing because the tangent space to Euclidean space can be naturally identified with Euclidean space itself and often the distinction is overlooked. Try working with 1 forms on a surface. It will be less confusing.

One should be careful calling this kind of operation a "projection". A real projection requires a metric, and one forms naturally act on vectors without need for metric.

The easiest way to see that the one forms dx, dy, and dz don't orthogonally project vectors is to consider the case where the basis vectors are not orthonormal. Consider, if they are skewed, your components for your vectors are no longer the result of orthogonal projections, but dx, dy, and dz always pick out components.

First, much-belated thank-you's for taking the time to reply!

lavinia said:
1 forms map tangent vectors into the base field - either the real numbers or the complex numbers.

For instance dx,dy,and dz pick out the x,y, and z components of tangent vectors to a 3 dimensional coordinate system.

In Euclidean space this can get confusing because the tangent space to Euclidean space can be naturally identified with Euclidean space itself and often the distinction is overlooked. Try working with 1 forms on a surface. It will be less confusing.

This has definitely been a source of confusion for me. I knew that the dx, dy, dz picked out the corresponding components, but I did not know of what vector! The original vector or the tangent vector? The tangent vector definitely makes more sense, since the 1-form is analogous to the gradient/derivative, i.e. you add them all up over the whole manifold in order to get the total.

Thanks again for the insight!

1. What are differential forms?

Differential forms are mathematical objects used in multivariable calculus to generalize the concept of a scalar or vector field. They are a way to describe and manipulate the properties of a space or surface at each point, rather than just at a single point.

2. What is the purpose of using differential forms?

Differential forms allow for a more elegant and concise way of expressing and solving problems in multivariable calculus. They also have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields, where they can be used to describe physical quantities such as forces and fluxes.

3. How are differential forms different from traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with functions of several variables, while differential forms deal with the properties of a space or surface at each point. Additionally, differential forms can be manipulated algebraically using a set of rules, whereas traditional calculus involves taking limits and derivatives.

4. How are differential forms used in real-world applications?

Differential forms have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and solve problems involving fluid flow, electromagnetism, optimization, and more. They also play a crucial role in modern theories such as general relativity.

5. What is the relationship between differential forms and vector calculus?

Differential forms can be seen as a generalization of vector calculus. In fact, many of the concepts and operations in vector calculus, such as gradients, curls, and line integrals, can be expressed in terms of differential forms. This makes differential forms a powerful tool for solving problems in vector calculus.