Elementary/irreducible particles

• Thread starter coktail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, elementary or irreducible particles are the fundamental building blocks of matter. They are the smallest units of matter that cannot be broken down into smaller components. These particles include quarks, leptons, and bosons, which make up atoms and are responsible for the formation of all known matter in the universe. They have unique properties and interactions that govern the behavior of matter at the subatomic level, leading to the complexity and diversity of the world around us. Understanding these particles is crucial in advancing our knowledge of the universe and the fundamental laws of nature.
coktail
Hi! I'm wondering what the current mainstream thinking is on irreducible/elementary particles.

Is the world made up of tiny, discrete little objects?
...or...
Is the world made up of pure energy that moves in patterns that appear to be little particles?
...or...
Neither/both/something different.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
coktail said:
Hi! I'm wondering what the current mainstream thinking is on irreducible/elementary particles.

Is the world made up of tiny, discrete little objects?
...or...
Is the world made up of pure energy that moves in patterns that appear to be little particles?
...or...
Neither/both/something different.

Thanks!

Both is closer to the current mainstream, with the caveat that nobody really understands quantum theory.

Neither. The world is made of quantum fields, whose elementary excitations carry energy and resemble discrete objects.

Bill's point is the best. +1

Bill_K said:
Neither. The world is made of quantum fields, whose elementary excitations carry energy and resemble discrete objects.

I have no idea what that means, but I'm excited to learn!

I'm also exploring this site: http://particleadventure.org/

Thanks!

1. What are elementary/irreducible particles?

Elementary or irreducible particles are the smallest known particles that make up matter. They are considered fundamental because they cannot be broken down into smaller components.

2. How many types of elementary particles are there?

There are currently 17 known elementary particles, which are divided into two categories: fermions and bosons. Fermions include particles such as quarks and leptons, while bosons include particles like photons and gluons.

3. What is the difference between an elementary particle and a composite particle?

An elementary particle is a single, indivisible particle, while a composite particle is made up of multiple elementary particles. Composite particles, such as protons and neutrons, are made up of combinations of quarks and gluons.

4. How are elementary particles studied?

Elementary particles are studied using high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. Scientists also use detectors to measure the properties of these particles, such as their mass and charge.

5. Why are elementary particles important?

Elementary particles are important because they are the building blocks of the universe. By studying these particles, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the origins of the universe.