Elementary Number Theory Proof

In summary, we can prove that if 3 divides the square of an integer, then it also divides the integer itself by using basic rules of arithmetic and algebra. We can do this by proving the contrapositive, that if 3 does not divide the integer, then it also does not divide its square. This can be done by considering the prime factorization of the integer and its square.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

If [itex] 3 | m^2 [/itex] for some integer [itex]m[/itex], then [itex] 3 | m[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex] a | b [/itex] means there exists an integer [itex]c[/itex] such that [itex]b = ca[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that this is a corollary to Euclid's first theorem, and that there are plenty of ways to solve this. However, I need an elementary proof using basic rules of arithmetic and algebra.

[itex]3 | m^2 \quad \iff \quad m^2 = 3k[/itex] for some integer [itex]k[/itex].

So then [itex]3 = \frac{m^2}{k}[/itex].

At this point it seems intuitively obvious that [itex]m[/itex] must be a multiple of 3, but it obviously doesn't qualify as a proof. Could someone give me a nudge in the right direction? Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to prove the contrapositive: If 3 does not divide m then it does not divide m2

Yuqing said:
Try to prove the contrapositive: If 3 does not divide m then it does not divide m2

Something like this?:

Suppose [itex]3 \nshortmid m[/itex].

Then there does not exist an integer [itex]k[/itex] such that [itex]3k = m[/itex].

Therefore there does not exist an integer [itex]k[/itex] such that [itex]3km = m^2[/itex].

But [itex]km[/itex] is just an integer, we can call it [itex]q[/itex].

Hence, there does not exist an integer [itex]q[/itex] such that [itex]3q = m^2[/itex].

Therefore, [itex]3 \nshortmid m^2[/itex].

I don't really think that proof is valid as it's not a proof that there does not exists any integer q such that 3q = m2 but rather that there does not exist q as a multiple of m such that 3q = m2.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of something like [tex]a \not\equiv 0\ (mod\ 3) \Longrightarrow a^2 \not\equiv 0\ (mod\ 3)[/tex] which only requires knowledge that [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex] is a field.

It all depends on exactly how elementary you want to get. If you do not wish to invoke Euclid's lemma or the fundamental theorem of arithmetic then the proof is a bit tedious.

Last edited:
Yuqing said:
It all depends on exactly how elementary you want to get. If you do not wish to invoke Euclid's lemma or the fundamental theorem of arithmetic then the proof is a bit tedious.

This is just a lemma that will be used to show that [itex]sqrt{3}[/itex] is irrational, so you can imagine how elementary the proof must be. I would say that using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic would be allowed, but I don't see how that would be useful?

With the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, we can see that the every prime power which divides m2 must have even exponent. Since 3 divides m2 it follows that 9 must, meaning if 3k = m2 then k = 3n for some n (which must also be a square).

Start by assuming 'm' has certain prime factorisation. Then you write down the prime factorisation for 'm' square. Hence compare with your rhs and conclude that one of the prime factor is 3. :)

icystrike said:
Start by assuming 'm' has certain prime factorisation. Then you write down the prime factorisation for 'm' square. Hence compare with your rhs and conclude that one of the prime factor is 3. :)

Wouldn't that be assuming the conclusion though? Shouldn't we start with some property about [itex]m^2[/itex] and work towards some property about [itex]m[/itex]? (i.e. that it is divisible by 3)

notice that all integers have form n = 3k, n = 3k+1, or n= 3k+2. then check cases. i.e it follows that if 3 divides n^2, then n = 3k. so 3 divides n.

FAQ: Elementary Number Theory Proof

1. What is Elementary Number Theory Proof?

Elementary Number Theory Proof is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of whole numbers. It involves using logical reasoning to prove theorems and propositions about numbers and their operations.

2. Why is Elementary Number Theory Proof important?

Elementary Number Theory Proof is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of numbers and their operations. It also forms the basis for more advanced mathematical concepts and is widely used in various fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics.

3. What are some common techniques used in Elementary Number Theory Proof?

Some common techniques used in Elementary Number Theory Proof include mathematical induction, modular arithmetic, and proof by contradiction. These techniques help mathematicians establish the validity of their claims and prove theorems.

4. How is Elementary Number Theory Proof different from other branches of mathematics?

Elementary Number Theory Proof differs from other branches of mathematics in that it focuses specifically on whole numbers and their operations, rather than more abstract concepts like functions and sets. It also often involves more direct, intuitive reasoning rather than complex equations and formulas.

5. What are some real-world applications of Elementary Number Theory Proof?

Elementary Number Theory Proof has many real-world applications, including in cryptography, where it is used to develop secure encryption algorithms. It is also used in computer science to analyze the efficiency of algorithms and in physics to study the properties of integers in nature.

Back