1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1
    I'm thinking about getting this book. I'm a physics major, and I think the only analysis course I'm required to take later as a prerequisite for graduate courses is Introduction to Complex Analysis. So far, I've taken Cal I-III and Linear Algebra. Differential Equations will probably be in the fall. Do I have enough knowledge so far to try to tackle this book for fun? Because I'm required to take so many courses for my physics major, I only need one more to get a math minor, which is what I'm doing.

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-The...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234313495&sr=1-1

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2009 #2
    If I recall correctly, the book at hand (which I own) devotes the first two chapters to set theory and metric spaces, which is introductory analysis rather than what most would call functional analysis. Therefore, it makes sense that you would be able to use it without any problems, as long as you're dedicated to learning rigorous mathematics. If you haven't had a previous analysis course, you may be surprised at some of the material, because it takes more of an abstract approach and takes a lot of time to get adjusted to, but I think Kolmogorov/Fomin's approach is very reasonable for beginners.

4. Feb 14, 2009 #3
    This would be my first introduction to analysis. Is analysis the fundamental ideas behind the formation of math, so to speak?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook