Ellipsoid intersected by cylinder

In summary: I tried solving for z-\sqrt{1-r^2sin^2\theta} \le z \le \sqrt{1-r^2sin^2\theta} but it says it can't converge so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.In summary, changing to cylindrical coordinates could be a good solution to this problem. The bounds for the integral would still need to be corrected, but that can be done later.
jonroberts74

Homework Statement

Find volume of the ellipsoid ##x^2 +2(y^2+z^2) \le 10## intersected by the cylinder ##y^2 + z^2 \le 1 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

seems like changing to cylindrical coordinates would be best

so I have

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{cc} r^2cos\theta + 2r^2sin^2\theta +2z^2 \le 10 \\r^2sin^2\theta +z^2 \le 1 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

[tex]0 \le \theta \le 2\pi[/tex]

and solving for z [tex]-\sqrt{1-r^2sin^2\theta} \le z \le \sqrt{1-r^2sin^2\theta}[/tex]

and [tex]-\sqrt{8}sec\theta \le r \le \sqrt{8}sec\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\Bigg(\int_{-\sqrt{1-r^2sin^2\theta}}^{\sqrt{1-r^2sin^2\theta}}\Bigg(\int_{-\sqrt{8}sec\theta}^{\sqrt{8}sec\theta}rdr\Bigg)dz\Bigg)d\theta[/tex]

I tried it on Wolfram|Alpha to check but it didn't seem to work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two things, when you set up the boundaries of your integral you have to make sure you eliminate a variable at each step. Therefore you need to do the z integral before the r integral. Otherwise, you will integrate r and then introduce another r which you will not be able to get rid of.

Second, r is defined from the origin so you integrate from 0 to the maximum value.

jonroberts74 said:

Homework Statement

Find volume of the ellipsoid ##x^2 +2(y^2+z^2) \le 10## intersected by the cylinder ##y^2 = z^2 \le 1##
You can use
Code:
 ##...##
brackets to enclose tex statements. Presumably that second equation is a typo and means ##y^2 \color{red} + z^2 \le 1##

The Attempt at a Solution

seems like changing to cylindrical coordinates would be best

so I have

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{cc} r^2cos\theta + 2r^2sin^2\theta +2z^2 \le 10 \\r^2sin^2\theta +z^2 \le 1 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

[tex]0 \le \theta \le 2\pi[/tex]

Cylindrical coordinates is a good idea, but not in the usual variables. Your cylinder and ellipsoid are both circular in the yz variables. So you want to use cylindrical like variables where the ##r## and ##\theta## variables are used in the ##yz## plane and you treat the ##x## axis as though it were the ##z## axis and integrate that direction first.

Likes 1 person
Jufro said:
Two things, when you set up the boundaries of your integral you have to make sure you eliminate a variable at each step. Therefore you need to do the z integral before the r integral. Otherwise, you will integrate r and then introduce another r which you will not be able to get rid of.

Second, r is defined from the origin so you integrate from 0 to the maximum value.

oh yeah, I didn't think of that. thanks

LCKurtz said:
You can use
Code:
 ##...##
brackets to enclose tex statements. Presumably that second equation is a typo and means ##y^2 \color{red} + z^2 \le 1##

Cylindrical coordinates is a good idea, but not in the usual variables. Your cylinder and ellipsoid are both circular in the yz variables. So you want to use cylindrical like variables where the ##r## and ##\theta## variables are used in the ##yz## plane and you treat the ##x## axis as though it were the ##z## axis and integrate that direction first.

before I go use up scratch paper. I am going to treat x as z, so should I set ##z = r cos \theta##? so my ##0 \le \theta \le 2\pi## will revolve about the z-axis as opposed to the x axis

EDIT: better yet after looking at it in grapher I am thinking ##y=rcos\theta ; z = rsin\theta##

Last edited:
##x^2 +2r^2(cos^2\theta + sin^2\theta)=10##

##r^2(cos^2\theta + sin^2\theta)=1##

##\int_{0}^{2\pi}\Bigg(\int_{-1}^{1}\Bigg(\int_{-\sqrt{10-2r^2}}^{\sqrt{10-2r^2}}dx\Bigg)rdr\Bigg)d\theta##

EDIT: I think the bounds are still amiss though because I got 0 which cannot be a correct answer for the volume

Last edited:
jonroberts74 said:

##\int_{0}^{2\pi}\Bigg(\int_{-1}^{1}\Bigg(\int_{-\sqrt{10-2r^2}}^{\sqrt{10-2r^2}}dx\Bigg)rdr\Bigg)d\theta##

EDIT: I think the bounds are still amiss though because I got 0 which cannot be a correct answer for the volume

Think about what each of ##\theta, r, x## represent and then have another look at your bounds.

the ##\theta## bounds makes sense because there's a full revolution the the ##r## bounds are the cylinder so its on the interval [0,1]

still seems to not work

EDIT: nevermind I got it.

Last edited:
jonroberts74 said:

You don't want negative values of ##r##. You get the whole circle for positive ##r## and ##\theta## going all the way around. Much simpler this way, don't you think?

yeah I wasn't thinking in terms of polar. thanks!##\int_{0}^{2\pi}\Bigg(\int_{0}^{1}\Bigg(\int_{-\sqrt{10-2r^2}}^{\sqrt{10-2r^2}}dx\Bigg)rdr\Bigg)d\theta##

You could do this by looking up formulas rather than integrating. The volume of the ellipsoid cut by the cylinder is the volume of the cylinder inside the ellipsoid plus the volume of the two caps at each end of the cylinder. The ellipsoid is bounded by [itex]x^2+ 2(y^2+ z^2)= 10[/itex] and the cylinder by [itex]y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex]. Obviously the cylinder cuts the ellipsoid when [itex]x^2+ 2(y^2+ z^2)= x^2+ 2(1)= 10[/itex], [itex]x^2= 8[/itex], [itex]x= \pm\sqrt{8}= \pm 2\sqrt{2}[/itex].

So the volume we want is a cylinder with radius 1 and height [itex]2\sqrt{2}- (-2\sqrt{2})= 4\sqrt{2}[/itex] plus the two spherical caps with bases disks of radius 1 and height [itex]\sqrt{10}- 1[/itex].

Likes 1 person

1. What is an ellipsoid intersected by a cylinder?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a stretched out sphere. It is defined by three axes of different lengths, and all points on the surface are equidistant from the center. When a cylinder is intersected with an ellipsoid, it results in a curved surface that is part ellipsoid and part cylinder.

2. How is an ellipsoid intersected by a cylinder useful?

This type of shape can be useful in engineering and architecture, as it allows for a more varied and efficient use of space. It can also be used in 3D modeling and computer graphics to create complex and realistic shapes.

3. What are the equations for an ellipsoid intersected by a cylinder?

The equations for an ellipsoid intersected by a cylinder can vary depending on the specific shape and orientation. However, in general, the equations involve using the properties of the ellipsoid and the cylinder to find the points of intersection between the two surfaces.

4. How can an ellipsoid intersected by a cylinder be visualized?

An ellipsoid intersected by a cylinder can be visualized in various ways, such as through 3D modeling software or by creating physical models using materials such as clay or foam. It can also be visualized through mathematical graphs and diagrams.

5. Are there any real-life examples of an ellipsoid intersected by a cylinder?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of this shape. One example is the dome of the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, Turkey, which is an ellipsoid intersected by a cylinder. Another example is the design of some sports stadiums, such as the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, which features an ellipsoid intersected by a cylinder roof.