Induced EMF — generator coil area calculation

In summary, to find the necessary area for a generator that produces an emf of ##\mathcal{E} = 150V## when it spins at a ratio of 60 revolutions per second, in a magnetic field of ##B = 0.5 T##, the equation ##\mathscr{E}=-\frac{d}{dt}BA cos \theta## can be used. The correct equation for the magnetic flux is ##\Phi=BA\cos(\omega t)##, where ##\omega=120\pi##. The EMF can be calculated as ##\mathcal{E}=| \frac{d\Phi}{dt}|##.
Celso

Homework Statement

What is the necessary area for a generator that produces an emf of ##\mathcal{E} = 150V## when it spins at a ratio of 60 revolutions per second, in a magnetic field of ##B = 0.5 T##?

Homework Equations

##\oint_{c} E \cdot dl = \mathcal{E} = -\frac{d}{dt}\iint_{s} B \cdot dS ##

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried solving for the magnetic flux ##\iint_{s}B \cdot dS=\int_{\theta{1}}^{\theta{2}}BAcos(\theta)d\theta##
##B## and ##A## are constant, so ##\iint_{s} B \cdot dS = BA \int_{\theta{1}}^{\theta{2}} cos(\theta)d\theta##
Now here is where I'm in doubt, please correct me if you spot a mistake, it spins 60 times a sec and since these engines switch the field or the current so the emf won't change to the other direction every half revolutions, one must consider the flux being always positive:
##60BA \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}2cos(\theta)d\theta##
(##2cos(\theta)## represents a full revolution, considering only the positive domain of the function).
Which leads to ##\frac{d}{dt}120BA = \mathcal{E}##
I'm stuck here

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic flux is given by ## \Phi=BA \cos(\omega t) ## where ## \omega =2 \pi f ##. ## \\ ## The EMF ## \mathcal{E}=-\frac{d \Phi}{dt} ##. See if that is helpful.

Likes gneill and Delta2
Celso said:

Homework Statement

What is the necessary area for a generator that produces an emf of ##\mathcal{E} = 150V## when it spins at a ratio of 60 revolutions per second, in a magnetic field of ##B = 0.5 T##?

Homework Equations

##\oint_{c} E \cdot dl = \mathcal{E} = -\frac{d}{dt}\iint_{s} B \cdot dS ##

First I tried solving for the magnetic flux ##\iint_{s}B \cdot dS=\int_{\theta{1}}^{\theta{2}}BAcos(\theta)d\theta##
##B## and ##A## are constant, so ##\iint_{s} B \cdot dS = BA \int_{\theta{1}}^{\theta{2}} cos(\theta)d\theta##
Now here is where I'm in doubt, please correct me if you spot a mistake, it spins 60 times a sec and since these engines switch the field or the current so the emf won't change to the other direction every half revolutions, one must consider the flux being always positive:
(##2cos(\theta)## represents a full revolution, considering only the positive domain of the function).
I'm stuck here

You operated the integral on something that you shouldn't.

The starting equation in your "Relevant equations" is the correct starting point. But you need to be aware that this is the surface integral bounded by the closed loop of current. In this case, this is a constant. You already had done this integral when you came up with "A" for the area, so you should have dropped the integral after that.

What you are left with is
[tex]
\mathscr{E}=-\frac{d}{dt}BA cos \theta [/tex]

Since B and A are constants, the derivative only operates on cosθ.

You should see that what you have now is identical to the derivative of the magnetic flux.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes Celso and Delta2
Celso said:

This equation is wrong. You switch from integration with respect to ##dS## to integration with respect to ##d\theta## which is the core of your mistake and it does not give the correct flux. The correct equation would be ##\Phi=\iint_{s}B \cdot dS=\iint_{s} B\cos\theta dS## where ##\theta=\omega t## is the angle that the magnetic field vector makes with the normal to the surface. This angle is time varying (not constant with respect to time), but it is constant with respect to the variable of integration ##dS## (it does not change as we move at various points of the surface) and also constant with the latter is the magnetic field vector so both can be taken out of integral and we ll have ##\Phi=B\cos\theta\iint_SdS##. I believe it is easy to understand ##\iint_SdS=A## . So at the very end we get
$$\Phi=BA\cos\theta=BA\cos(\omega t)$$ where $$\omega=2\pi60=120\pi$$
and $$\mathcal{E}=-\frac{d\Phi}{dt}$$
I'm stuck here
if the generator has commutator that keeps the polarity constant this doesn't affect the EMF as you say but it would rather be:
$$\mathcal{E}=| \frac{d\Phi}{dt}|$$ where |x| denotes the absolute value of x.

Likes Charles Link and Celso
Depends on how many windings there are in the armature. I presume you mean 1.
Also, the emf is time-varying so it needs to be specified whether the sought emf is average or peak or rms or ...

BTW there is a simple formula for average emf which is not a function of angle or field configuration or anything else except frequency and maximum flux (and N if N>1).

Likes Delta2

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is the voltage generated in a conductor when it moves through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field through the conductor changes.

2. How is induced EMF calculated?

Induced EMF can be calculated using the formula E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the coil, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the coil.

3. What is the relationship between induced EMF and generator coil area?

The induced EMF is directly proportional to the area of the generator coil. This means that a larger coil area will result in a higher induced EMF, while a smaller coil area will result in a lower induced EMF.

4. How does the number of turns in the coil affect induced EMF?

The number of turns in the coil is directly proportional to the induced EMF. This means that a coil with more turns will result in a higher induced EMF, while a coil with fewer turns will result in a lower induced EMF.

5. Can induced EMF be negative?

Yes, induced EMF can be negative. This occurs when the magnetic flux through the coil is decreasing, causing the induced EMF to have a negative value. This is known as Lenz's Law, which states that the direction of the induced EMF will oppose the change in magnetic flux.