Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B EMI potential difference question

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1
    This is not a homework.i am not able to understand rotating motional emf .so could u please tell why could we use the effective length to calculate emf in this case . 1478592145082.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Is that problem from H C Verma?
    Maybe that is an easier approach, but not the only one. It can also be solved using the straightforward calculus method. Is the answer given?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  4. Nov 8, 2016 #3
    Please can anyone help me to prove that in this case the shape doesn't matter and hence effective length can be used to calculate motional emf

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  5. Nov 8, 2016 #4
    Thank you so much for your reply ,yes the answer is given, actually had a doubt that why can we use the effective length though the velocity of every point is different.i mean i am not able to prove that the shape doesn't matter ....so could u please help me prove it in this case ,i am able to prove it when there is no rotation. This is from DC PANDEY
    I have attached the solution if it helps

Attached Files:

6. Nov 8, 2016 #5

cnh1995

Homework Helper

This effective length part can be proved using some calculus. Do you know how to set up a differential equation?

7. Nov 8, 2016 #6
    Could u please elaborate

8. Nov 8, 2016 #7
    If possible can u please elaborate on it
    And is there any simple explanation...
    I do know to set up and solve differential equations

9. Nov 8, 2016 #8

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Consider the section OCA only. Here, you want to show that arc-length AC is effectively equal to the straight line distance AC. What is the emf induced in the straight line AC if length AC=l?

10. Nov 8, 2016 #9
    It's half(B)(w)L²

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted