Measuring difference in Exercising in a Flat Surface vs one with Slope

• I
  • Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Trying to cut down on exercise time by climbing stairs vs walking on flat surface
Ok, so I'm trying to estimate by some accounts, just informally for now, how much more effort is needed to walk a fixed distance D , first along a flat surface, then by climbing stairs.

Since my undergrad Physics is kind of rusty, please forgive my ignorance in this regard. I'm thinking of using Potential Energy ( the difference between initial, final points ), to estimate the difference of effort, I guess in carrying my mass about. I am assuming going in a constant slope, though I'm curious as to how the slope level would make a difference.

Is this a reasonable way of estimating the difference in level of difficulty between walking along a flat surface and walking along a slope?
I'm ultimately trying to cut down on exercise time without cutting down on benefits ( measured informally for now).

Physics news on Phys.org
You could start with the Pandolf equation. It should get you in the ballpark at least.

M = 1.5*W + 2.8*(W+L)*(L/W)^2 + n*(W+L)*(1.5*V^2+0.35*V*G)

M = metabolic rate, watts
W = subject weight, kg
L = load carried, kg
V = speed of walking, m/s -- range tested = 0.0-1.0 m/s (0.0-2.2 MPH)
G = grade, %
n = terrain factor (n=1.0 for treadmill)

In my own experience the most efficient way to exercise in terms of time is running. Continuous runs or intervals. Twenty minutes of that is like an hour on a bicycle or at least four hours of walking. It does kind of depend on the health of your knees though.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
I'm ultimately trying to cut down on exercise time without cutting down on benefits
If so, then you need to study more exercise physiology and less physics. If you want cardiovascular and health benefits, you need to work out aerobically. The optimal effort for that is the hardest effort at which you can carry on a conversation speaking in full sentences without straining to breathe. Working out at higher effort levels puts you into strength training, which has a different set of benefits.
JT Smith said:
In my own experience the most efficient way to exercise in terms of time is running.
It can be argued that swimming, ice skating, and cross country skiing are a little better for general aerobic fitness.

It really gets down to the question of just how fit and healthy you want to be. Running three miles five days per week will give you good general health and fitness, and you would be able to run a 5K race without embarrassing yourself. Increasing that to 30 miles per week will put you in shape to run a half marathon, and 45 miles per week if you want to run a full marathon.

There is an upper limit to how much exercise you can do before learning the negative effects of overtraining, but few people find that limit. I can recommend RunningAhead.com as a good forum if you want to run: https://www.runningahead.com/forums.

Likes berkeman and WWGD
jrmichler said:
It can be argued that swimming, ice skating, and cross country skiing are a little better for general aerobic fitness.

Maybe, I can't say. But in terms of time spent I'd still vote for running. I don't have any data, it's just my gut feeling.

I used to swim a lot and also did quite a bit of self-propelled skiing. Both are excellent ways to exercise but they do require specialized environments. Ice skating too. For bicycling all you need besides a bicycle is a road or trail. For running and walking you just need shoes and some sort of semi-horizontal surface.

You can run in place barefoot really vigorously right in your home while watching T.V. and get an awesome workout in about ten minutes.

Likes WWGD
JT Smith said:
Maybe, I can't say. But in terms of time spent I'd still vote for running. I don't have any data, it's just my gut feeling.

I used to swim a lot and also did quite a bit of self-propelled skiing. Both are excellent ways to exercise but they do require specialized environments. Ice skating too. For bicycling all you need besides a bicycle is a road or trail. For running and walking you just need shoes and some sort of semi-horizontal surface.

You can run in place barefoot really vigorously right in your home while watching T.V. and get an awesome workout in about ten minutes.
Yes, I've done some running/" bycicling" in place while laying on the floor for 10 minutes
I get a bit of a sweat and it knocks me out to sleep.

1. How does exercising on a flat surface differ from exercising on a slope?

Exercising on a flat surface typically involves more consistent muscle engagement and joint movement, while exercising on a slope requires additional muscle activation to overcome the incline. This can lead to increased cardiovascular demand and a higher calorie burn compared to exercising on a flat surface.

2. Does exercising on a slope increase the risk of injury compared to exercising on a flat surface?

Exercising on a slope can increase the risk of certain injuries, such as ankle sprains or muscle strains, due to the uneven terrain and additional strain placed on muscles and joints. It is important to use proper form and footwear when exercising on a slope to minimize the risk of injury.

3. Which type of surface is more effective for improving strength and endurance?

Exercising on a slope can be more effective for improving strength and endurance, as it requires additional muscle activation and cardiovascular demand compared to exercising on a flat surface. However, both types of surfaces can be beneficial for overall fitness when incorporated into a well-rounded exercise routine.

4. Are there specific exercises that are better suited for flat surfaces versus slopes?

Certain exercises, such as sprints or hill climbs, may be more effective when performed on a slope to target specific muscle groups and improve cardiovascular fitness. Exercises like lunges or squats may be better suited for flat surfaces to focus on proper form and muscle engagement.

5. How can I measure the difference in effectiveness between exercising on a flat surface versus one with a slope?

You can measure the difference in effectiveness by tracking metrics such as heart rate, distance covered, time taken, and perceived exertion levels during workouts on both surfaces. Additionally, you can assess changes in strength, endurance, and overall fitness over time to determine the impact of exercising on different surfaces.