• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Enclosed charge of an electron cloud with a given charge density function.

I have a conceptual problem.

Homework Statement

I was given a charge distribution for an electron cloud of a hydrogen atom in the ground state - ignoring the nucleus.

Homework Equations

charge density: ρ=charge of electron/(pi*Bohr radius^3)*exp(-2r/Bohr radius)

The Attempt at a Solution

Whenever I integrate over the volume of the sphere to find the enclosed charge, I got a value other than the charge of an electron. Why isn't the enclosed charge equal to the charge of an electron? What concept am I missing here? The charge density function comes from quantum mechanics. Is there some weird quantum effect there that is taken into account?

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The charge distribution does not terminate inside a finite volume - plot ##\rho(r)## vs ##r## and compare with the radius of the volume you are integrating over.

The "weird quantum effect" is the statistical nature of that charge distribution ... for a sphere radius R (finite volume) about the nucleus, there is always a non-zero probability of finding the electron outside that volume. Integrate to infinity and you should get ##q_e##.

Thank you. I took a drive and realized that some of the distribution must lie outside the Bohr radius because it is an average value for the distance of the electron, and that when r is at infinity the electron and proton must both be point charges at the origin. I'm glad I came back to someone confirming that!

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yah - this treatment of the electron as having its charge smeared out over the wave0-function is only an average treatment. An actual interaction may measure the position of a particular electron more accurately than that... but, for a large number of hydrogen atoms, it all averages out.