Energy and Time: Exploring the Connection

In summary, the conversation discusses the implications of the Schrödinger equation and its connection to classical mechanics. It is noted that a system with zero Hamiltonian cannot have any events or observations, and therefore time cannot be defined. This concept is often discussed in physics, as seen in examples from classical mechanics, relativity, and quantum mechanics.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
My studies lead me to contemplte the implications of the Schrödinger equation and it's close cousins in the classical world. First, I am struck by the fact that the time derivative of any physical quantity must be zero for any system with a zero Hamiltonian.

In quantum mechanics [itex]{\frac{dL}{dt}}=-i[L,H][/itex] or in classical mechanics [itex]{\frac{dL}{dt}}=-i\{L,H\}[/itex], where ##L## is the average of any observed physical quantity and ##H## is the average of the Hamiltonian. Even more striking is the expression [itex]<ψ|[L,H]|ψ>[/itex] for the average value of any observable ##L## of any state ##ψ##. All of these imply that nothing can happen, nothing can be observed, there can be no events in a system with no energy (zero Hamiltonian).

I guess the simplest possible event must be the engagement of the state of an observing apparatus with the state of the system. That too requires a change in the average state (except in the trivial case of observing up in a system prepared in the up state), and a nonzero Hamiltonian to accomplish.

If we accept the definition of time as: "Time is a dimension in which events can be ordered from the past through the present into the future." , then if there is no energy, there can be no events, and there is no way to observe or even to define the flow of time.

I understand that in this universe, we have zero point energy (vacuum energy), so that a closed system with zero Hamiltonian is not really possible. Correct? I also understand the possible circular semantic trap. A system with no energy, no mass, means no system at all. No system, no states, no observable, no events, no time, just nothing.

I have read books and viewed lectures by Leonard Susskind, Steven Hawking, and Brian Greene that tackle the fundamental questions such as the nature of time, but I've never seen this coupling between time and energy mentioned. Even on PF, questions about the nature of time are frequent, especially in connection with the origin of the universe. Yet I don't recall reading the time-energy relationship mentioned in any of the answers.

Modesty forces me to suspect that my conclusions are wrong or that the energy-time connection is so trivially obvious that nobody mentions it. Is that correct?

Please note what I have not mentioned above. The direction of the arrow of time. The mass energy equivalence. The fact that an event is pinned to a location is both time and space. Uncertainty. Nor have I claimed that time does not exist without energy. Existence would be a metaphysical question. I want to focus first on the more narrow question. Namely, for a closed system with zero Hamiltonian time is undefined.

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy-time connection is ubiquitous in physics. In classical mechanics, conservation of energy is implied by homogeneity of time. In relativity, energy is a component of the four-momentum vector that corresponds to the temporal dimension. In quantum mechanics, time and energy are bound by Heisenberg's uncertainty relation.

1. What is the relationship between energy and time?

The relationship between energy and time is a fundamental concept in physics and is described by the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does energy affect the passage of time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time and energy are closely related. As an object's energy increases, its mass also increases, and as a result, time appears to pass slower for that object. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and has been proven through various experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment.

3. Can energy be converted into time and vice versa?

While energy and time are interconnected, they cannot be directly converted into one another. However, energy can be converted into other forms, such as mass, which affects the passage of time. Similarly, time can be affected by the presence of energy, but it cannot be converted into energy itself.

4. How does energy impact the concept of time travel?

The concept of time travel is a popular topic in science fiction, but it is not currently possible according to our understanding of physics. However, some theories, such as the Alcubierre drive, propose that manipulating energy could potentially allow for the manipulation of space-time, making time travel a possibility in the future.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of energy and time in the universe?

According to current scientific understanding, there is no limit to the amount of energy and time in the universe. As mentioned earlier, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant. Similarly, time is considered to be infinite and has no inherent limit. However, our perception of time may be limited by our current technology and understanding.