Energy condition respecting warp drives in Einstein Cartan theory

In summary: Thank you for your understanding.In summary, a paper has been discussed where the inclusion of torsion in Einstein Cartan theory leads to positive energy spin requirements in the Alcubierre metric calculations, instead of requiring exotic matter. This may be due to the possibility of faster than light travel through toroidal vortices of gravitational frame dragging. However, there is no evidence of torsion in macroscopic situations where only scalar and electromagnetic fields are involved, and this idea is a personal speculation and not a well-known theory. References for these models can be found in the provided link and on superfluid vacuum theory. However, personal theories and speculations are not allowed in this forum.
Quantum23
TL;DR Summary
So I read this paper where if you take the alcubierre metric calaculations while including torsion in GR you get positive energy spin requirements instead of exotic matter.
I read this paper where if you take the alcubierre metric calaculations while including torsion in GR you get positive energy spin requirements instead of exotic matter. Here is the link: https://arxiv.org/abs/1807.09745
Could it be because a spinning quantum vacuum will be less stiff like a smoke ring vortex and allow faster than light travel that the alcubierre metric doesn't violate energy condition in Einstein Cartan theory? JUst like frame dragging in GR if you have high enough spin in the form of a toroid ring you have a vortex like a smoke ring in the quantum vacuum or spacetime. It is well known that spacetime has fluid models and can have such characteristics. So are the equations really telling us the possibility of faster than light through toroidal vortices of gravitational frame dragging? If you look at a vortex ring in air, it sucks air in the front and expel it at the back with efficiency the reason that it stays longer. That is very s

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum23 said:
So I read this paper where if you take the alcubierre metric calaculations while including torsion in GR you get positive energy spin requirements instead of exotic matter.
GR doesn’t include torsion. So if you are including torsion it is no longer GR.

Well, it's a pretty reasonable extension of GR from a pseudo-Riemann to a pseudo-Riemann-Cartan manifold. Since we have particles with spin 1/2 amass, it's not so unlikely that in fact the latter generalization is necessary for a full theory of gravitation and matter, though up to today there's no hint of torsion, which is because we deal with very macroscopic situations when testing GR (mostly astronomical and cosmological situations) where only scalar and electromagnetic fields are involved, and there you don't have torsion.

Likes dextercioby
Quantum23 said:
It is well known that spacetime has fluid models

Please provide references for these models. I suspect they do not make all the same claims you are making.

PeterDonis said:
Please provide references for these models. I suspect they do not make all the same claims you are making.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1807.09745 here is the link to a paper on alcubeierre metric in einstein cartan theory. But the fluid vortex model is made is my idea of how to interpret the results assuming that fluid analogy can be made of general relativity. You can also refer to superfluid vacuum theory in wikipedia.

Last edited:
Quantum23 said:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1807.09745 here is the link to a paper on alcubeierre metric in einstein cartan theory. But the fluid vortex model is made is my idea of how to interpret the results assuming that fluid analogy can be made of general relativity. You can also refer to superfluid vacuum theory in wikipedia.
Fluid vortex model cannot be both well known and your own. You have made contradictory claims.

Likes Vanadium 50
Quantum23 said:
the fluid vortex model is made is my idea of how to interpret the results

Personal theories and personal speculations are off topic here at PF. Please bear that in mind.

PAllen said:
Fluid vortex model cannot be both well known and your own. You have made contradictory claims.
The "fluid model" is well known as superfluid vacuum theory. But the smoke ring vortex in this fluid model is my way of interpreting the alcubierre metric in that model and I want to know what others think of the idea.

You’re asking for an opinion on an imprecise analogy (as all are, to some degree)? That’s not really science, especially as you haven’t given the analogy any content e.g. such and such feature of the analogy corresponds to such and such feature of the Alcubierre metric.

As to another question you raise, looking over the paper briefly (though I am not very familiar with Einstein-Cartan theory), it states pretty clearly that the deviation from the GR model is all in the matter, not in the vacuum. Thus there is explicitly no new vacuum model compared to GR. What it claims is that the matter supporting and giving rise to the warp bubble need not be exotic (violating all energy conditions), if it is allowed to have high spin and that the matter is modeled with non-symmetric Ricci tensor built from connection with torsion, per Einstein Cartan theory. I am unable to comment on the validity or plausibility of this claim (of the supporting matter not being exotic), as it is outside my expertise.

Last edited:
Likes Quantum23
Quantum23 said:
The "fluid model" is well known as superfluid vacuum theory. But the smoke ring vortex in this fluid model is my way of interpreting the alcubierre metric in that model and I want to know what others think of the idea.

As I've already said, personal speculations are off limits here. Since your question is about your personal speculation, this thread is closed.

1. What is the Einstein Cartan theory and how does it relate to warp drives?

The Einstein Cartan theory is a mathematical framework that combines Einstein's theory of general relativity with the concept of spin in physics. This theory allows for the inclusion of torsion, which is the twisting or shearing of space-time, in addition to curvature. This is relevant to warp drives because it takes into account the effects of torsion on space-time, which could potentially be harnessed for faster-than-light travel.

2. How does the energy condition impact the feasibility of warp drives in the Einstein Cartan theory?

The energy condition is a set of mathematical criteria that must be met for a physical system to be physically plausible. In the context of warp drives in the Einstein Cartan theory, the energy condition must be respected in order for the concept of a warp drive to be considered feasible. This means that the energy required for the warp drive must be within certain limits and not violate any fundamental laws of physics.

3. Are there any known examples of warp drives that respect the energy condition in the Einstein Cartan theory?

At this time, there are no known examples of warp drives that fully respect the energy condition in the Einstein Cartan theory. This is because the theory is still largely theoretical and has not been extensively tested or applied in practical applications. However, ongoing research and advancements in the field may lead to the development of such examples in the future.

4. What are the potential implications of warp drives that respect the energy condition in the Einstein Cartan theory?

If a warp drive that respects the energy condition in the Einstein Cartan theory were to be successfully developed, it could have significant implications for space travel and exploration. It could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel, making interstellar travel and exploration more feasible. However, there are also ethical and safety considerations that must be taken into account before any practical applications of such technology can be pursued.

5. What are the current challenges and limitations in developing a warp drive that respects the energy condition in the Einstein Cartan theory?

One of the main challenges in developing a warp drive that respects the energy condition in the Einstein Cartan theory is the lack of experimental evidence and practical applications of the theory. This makes it difficult to fully understand and test the effects of torsion on space-time and its potential for warp drive propulsion. Additionally, there are still many unknowns and potential obstacles that must be addressed before such technology can be realized, including the ethical and safety concerns mentioned earlier.