Energy Conversion Efficiency of EL Wire

• Thread starter Bararontok
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

As lighting decorations, EL wires that use an alternating current to make a phosphorous material radiate light are said to be very efficient and generate little heat. But what exactly is the energy conversion efficiency of such a device expressed as the ratio of output radiative power divided by input electrical power in percentage so that its performance can be compared with other lighting systems?

Answers and Replies

I've done some work with EL, but have never needed to do exactly what you're looking for.

Both the power draw and output intensity of a fixed amount of EL wire will depend on the drive frequency and voltage. Typically EL wire can be modeled as a capacitor with xxx capacitance per foot. You should be able to come up with an equation to model this.

I have found that the properties (light intensity, current draw, etc.) of a fixed length of EL wire varies greatly by supplier, so I'm not sure how that will play into your end goal.

Edit:
If you're hoping to use this for a battery calculation or something like that, don't forget about the efficiency of the inverter design - that would be huge in terms of power consumption (battery life).