Energy eigenvalues and momentum distributions

In summary, the energy eigenvalues in the quantum version of the symmetric infinite well are well-determined. However, the momentum has a spread or distribution for a given energy eigenvalue. This is because the energy operator is now E = p^2/2m + V(x), where V(x) is the potential energy. So E and p do not commute anymore, and p is time-dependent as a result of that. This means that momentum is not conserved in this system.
ehrenfest
In the quantum version of the symmetric infinite well, the energy eigenvalues are, in principle, well-determined. Why would the momentum then have a spread or distribution for a given energy eigenvalue i.e.

[tex] \phi(p) = 1/(2\pi\hbar) \int_{-a}^{a}dx u_n (x) e^{-ipx/\hbar}[/tex]
where u_n is the solution with wavenumber n = 1,3,5... or n = 2,4,6...

when there is the relationship E = p^2/2m?

So transforming the solutions into momentum space gives a distribution, while transforming the solution into energy space give the Dirac delta function I think is another way to put it?

Is it because of the time-dependence of momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
In the quantum version of the symmetric infinite well, the energy eigenvalues are, in principle, well-determined. Why would the momentum then have a spread or distribution for a given energy eigenvalue i.e.

[tex] \phi(p) = 1/(2\pi\hbar) \int_{-a}^{a}dx u_n (x) e^{-ipx/\hbar}[/tex]
where u_n is the solution with wavenumber n = 1,3,5... or n = 2,4,6...

when there is the relationship E = p^2/2m?

So transforming the solutions into momentum space gives a distribution, while transforming the solution into energy space give the Dirac delta function I think is another way to put it?

Is it because of the time-dependence of momentum?

This is because the energy operator is now E = p^2/2m + V(x), where V(x) is the potential energy. So E and p do not commute anymore, and p is time-dependent as a result of that.

Eugene.

meopemuk said:
This is because the energy operator is now E = p^2/2m + V(x), where V(x) is the potential energy. So E and p do not commute anymore, and p is time-dependent as a result of that.

Eugene.
I'm not convinced by that explanation. For the infinite square well, you are obliged to restrict yourself to a subset of wavefunctions upon which V(x) is the zero operator. Upon that subset, p and V(x) do commute.

Of course, the same isn't true for a finite square well, because you have,
[tex][V(x), p] = -i \hbar V ( \delta(x - a) - \delta(x + a) )[/tex]

(or something like that)

As I puzzle through the situation, I strongly suspect that you cannot expect p to resemble a well-behaved operator on this restricted space of wavefunctions.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
I'm not convinced by that explanation. For the infinite square well, you are obliged to restrict yourself to a subset of wavefunctions upon which V(x) is the zero operator. Upon that subset, p and V(x) do commute.

This would be completely unphysical. [p,H]=0 would mean that momentum is conserved. The same would be true in the classical limit as well. But classical momentum is definitely not conserved, because the particle is bouncing off the walls.

Eugene.

meopemuk said:
This would be completely unphysical. [p,H]=0 would mean that momentum is conserved. The same would be true in the classical limit as well. But classical momentum is definitely not conserved, because the particle is bouncing off the walls.

Eugene.

Why does that mean momentum would be conserved? I think commutation of two operators simply implied that they could not have a simultaneous eigenstate?

meopemuk said:

Eugene.
Well, the infinite square well has some poor mathematical properties (the set of wave functions I mentioned don't even form a Hilbert space!); it wouldn't surprise me to see other complications.

If there is a poor classical limit, I wouldn't think that a problem -- I would simply expect it to be an issue of conflicting approximations. Note that as [itex]\hbar \to 0[/itex], the energy eigenvalues all become zero.

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
Why does that mean momentum would be conserved? I think commutation of two operators simply implied that they could not have a simultaneous eigenstate?

Non-zero commutators are not simply signs of simultaneous non-measurability of observables. Commutator of an observable with the Hamiltonian fully determines its (observable's) time evolution. This follows from the Heisenberg equation

[tex] -i \hbar \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = [H, p] [/tex]

Which, in turn, follows from general formula for the time evolution of observables

[tex] p(t) = e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}Ht} p(0) e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}Ht} [/tex]

Eugene.

Last edited:
If the walls were not there, then the E eigenfunction would be a combination of plane waves and the position space to momentum space transform would be a combination of delta functions telling you E=p^2/2m. If the walls are there just because the potential is zero in the support of the wavefunction, it still restricts the region of integration. I'm with Eugene on this. The hamiltonian doesn't commute with p.

Probability

My book states this as obvious, but what are the intermediate steps between the second equality?

< (x - <x>)^2> = < x^2 - 2x<x>+<x>^2> = <x^2> - <x>^2

There is an implicit sum or integration in there. <x^2-2x<x>+<x>^2>>=<x^2>-2<x><x>+<x>^2. Hence?

I see. Thanks. :biggrin:

1. What are energy eigenvalues and momentum distributions?

Energy eigenvalues refer to the possible values of energy that a quantum system can have. These values are determined by the system's Hamiltonian operator. Momentum distributions, on the other hand, describe the probability of finding a particle with a specific momentum in a quantum system.

2. How are energy eigenvalues and momentum distributions related?

Energy eigenvalues and momentum distributions are closely related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This principle states that the more precisely we know a particle's momentum, the less precisely we can know its position, and vice versa. Therefore, a particle with a well-defined energy eigenvalue will have a less defined momentum distribution.

3. How can we calculate energy eigenvalues and momentum distributions?

Energy eigenvalues and momentum distributions can be calculated using mathematical techniques such as solving the Schrödinger equation or using the quantum harmonic oscillator model. These calculations involve finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian operator for a given system.

4. What do energy eigenvalues and momentum distributions tell us about a quantum system?

Energy eigenvalues and momentum distributions provide valuable information about the state and behavior of a quantum system. They can tell us about the allowed energy levels of the system, the probability of finding a particle with a certain momentum, and the overall dynamics and stability of the system.

5. Can energy eigenvalues and momentum distributions change over time?

Yes, energy eigenvalues and momentum distributions can change over time in a quantum system. This is because quantum systems are inherently dynamic and can undergo processes such as energy exchanges and wave function collapses. However, the total energy and momentum of a closed quantum system will remain constant.