Energy flux in optics in hydrogen gas

In summary, the problem involves a half space of hydrogen gas with a density of n atoms per cubic meter. An incident wave plane with pulsation ω from z = -∞ is directed towards the surface of incidence, carrying a flux of energy ∅0 at z=0. When considering an elementary cylinder with axis along z and section S between z and z+dz, it can be proven that the flux of energy of the wave is given by d∅/dz= -nσ(ω)∅(z), where σ(ω) is the diffusion cross-section. This leads to the conclusion that ∅(z) = ∅0(z)exp(-z/L), where L is the diffusion length.
kirikoo

Homework Statement

There is a half space z>0 full with hydrogen gas with density n atoms / metres cube.
An incident wave plane with pulsation ω coming from z = -∞ arrives at the surface of incidence. This wave transports a flux of energy ∅0 at z=0.
We consider a elementary cylinder whose axe along z with section S between z and z+dz
Prove that the flux of energy of the wave is given by d∅/dz= -nσ(ω)∅(z) , σ(ω) is the diffusion cross-section. And therefore ∅(z) = ∅0(z)exp(-z/L).
I suppose L is the luminance.

Thank you for your help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think L is the luminance. Shouldn't it have the same units as z?

Yes, of course stupid mistake from me. L has the same dimension as z. But still i have no answer for my question:approve:

1. What is energy flux in optics?

Energy flux in optics refers to the rate at which energy is transported through a given area in a specific direction. It is a measure of the intensity of light or electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is energy flux related to hydrogen gas in optics?

In optics, the energy flux is affected by the medium through which light or radiation is passing. In the case of hydrogen gas, the energy flux can be influenced by the absorption and scattering of photons by the hydrogen molecules.

3. How does energy flux in hydrogen gas affect the propagation of light?

The energy flux in hydrogen gas can affect the propagation of light by altering the intensity and direction of the light as it passes through the gas. This can lead to phenomena such as refraction and diffraction.

4. What factors can affect the energy flux in hydrogen gas in optics?

The energy flux in hydrogen gas can be influenced by factors such as the density and temperature of the gas, the wavelength of the light or radiation, and the concentration of other molecules or particles in the gas.

5. How is energy flux measured in optics?

In optics, energy flux is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m2). This can be measured using specialized instruments such as photodiodes or radiometers.