Energy in simple harmonic motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a harmonic oscillator with a given angular frequency and amplitude. The conversation includes solutions for finding the displacement and velocity when the elastic potential energy equals the kinetic energy, the frequency and time between occurrences, and the kinetic and potential energy fractions at a specific displacement. The conversation also mentions the use of LaTex for displaying equations.
kjartan

Homework Statement

This is my first post here.
I'm particularly unsure about b(ii)
Thanks for any and all replies!
I apologize in advance if I haven't used the correct conventions, but I hope that this is legible. I will learn the correct conventions for future posts but was pressed for time here.

Question:

A harmonic oscillator has angular frequency w and amplitude A.

(a) What are the magnitudes of the displacement and velocity when the elastic potential energy is equal to the kinetic energy? (assume that U = 0 at equilibrium)

(b) (i) How often does this occur in each cycle?
(ii) What is the time between occurrences?

(c) At an instant when the displacement is equal to A/2, what fraction of the total energy of the system is kinetic and what fraction is potential?

Homework Equations

E = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)kx^2 = (1/2)kA^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) (1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)kx^2 --> x = +/- A/rad(2)

v = rad(k/m)*x = rad(k/m)*[A/rad(2)]

(b) (i) 4 times

(ii) x = Acos(wt + phi), choose phi = pi/2

so, x = Asin(wt)
x/A= sin(wt)
t = (1/w)arcsin(x/A)

subst. from (a) gives us t = (1/w)arcsin(1/rad(2)) = (1/w)*(pi/4)

So, change in t = pi/(2w)

(c) E = K + U

U = (1/2)kx^2 = (!/2)k(A/2)^2 = k(A^2/8)

K = k(A^2/2) - k(A^2/8) = k(3A^2/8)

so, K/E = 3/4 --> U/E = 1/4

Physics news on Phys.org
kjartan said:
(a) (1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)kx^2 --> x = +/- A/rad(2)

v = rad(k/m)*x = rad(k/m)*[A/rad(2)]

OK. Note that you also have 2 solutions for v: [itex]v=\pm \sqrt{k/2m}A[/itex] (click on the equation if you want to see the code that generates it). Then you take the magnitude of each, as the problem asked you to. Since this is a 1D problem, the magnitude of a vector is just the absolute value.

(b) (i) 4 times

Agree.

(ii) x = Acos(wt + phi), choose phi = pi/2

so, x = Asin(wt)
x/A= sin(wt)
t = (1/w)arcsin(x/A)

subst. from (a) gives us t = (1/w)arcsin(1/rad(2)) = (1/w)*(pi/4)

So, change in t = pi/(2w)

I agree with your change in t, but I'm not so sure you want to use the arcsin function here. The arcsin function is too restrictive to capture all the solutions of the trigonometric equation, as its range is only [itex][-\pi /2,\pi /2][/itex].

By the way, you don't need to choose a value of [itex]\phi[/itex]. You could also do it like this.

[tex]A\cos(\omega t+\phi )=\pm\frac{A}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\omega t+\phi=...\frac{\pi}{4},\frac{3\pi}{4},\frac{5\pi}{4},\frac{7\pi}{4}...[/tex]

[tex]\omega t+\phi=\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{4}[/tex], [tex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

Now take the [itex]t[/itex] values for any two adjacent [itex]n[/itex], and subtract the smaller from the greater. [itex]\phi[/itex] will subract off without you having to choose a value for it.

(c) E = K + U

U = (1/2)kx^2 = (!/2)k(A/2)^2 = k(A^2/8)

K = k(A^2/2) - k(A^2/8) = k(3A^2/8)

so, K/E = 3/4 --> U/E = 1/4

That is correct.

Thanks much, Tom, your reply was most helpful and I appreciate it!

Thanks for the tip about LaTex, too.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion refers to the repetitive back and forth motion of an object around a central equilibrium point, where the force acting on the object is proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium point. This type of motion can be seen in pendulums, springs, and other oscillating systems.

2. What is the relationship between energy and simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the total energy of the system remains constant. This means that the potential energy and kinetic energy of the object are constantly changing, but their sum remains the same. As the object moves towards the equilibrium point, the potential energy decreases while the kinetic energy increases, and vice versa.

3. How is the energy in simple harmonic motion calculated?

The total energy in simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2kA^2, where k is the spring constant and A is the amplitude or maximum displacement of the object from the equilibrium point. This equation takes into account both the potential and kinetic energy components of the system.

4. Can the energy in simple harmonic motion be changed?

Yes, the energy in simple harmonic motion can be changed by altering the amplitude or frequency of the oscillations. Increasing the amplitude will result in a higher total energy, while increasing the frequency will result in a higher rate of energy transfer between potential and kinetic energy.

5. What factors affect the energy in simple harmonic motion?

The energy in simple harmonic motion is affected by the amplitude, frequency, and mass of the object. A higher amplitude or frequency will result in a higher energy, while a higher mass will result in a lower energy. Additionally, any external forces or friction can also affect the energy of the system.