1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy levels of exponential potential

1. Jun 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the eigenfunctions (with angular momentum 0) and the estimation of the 3 first energy levels (given g and a) of a particle in a exponential potential such as

V = -ge-r/a

2. Relevant equations

Time independent Schrodinger equation (SE)

3. The attempt at a solution

Did a first change of variables for the radial part of the SE R= u/r
    Did a second change [itex]\sigma[/itex] = Ke-r/2a to reach the Bessel equation

Then the solutions are Bessel functions and cannot diverge at r = 0. Therefore I end up with

[itex]\Phi(r) = A J_{\nu}(Ke^{-r/2a})[/itex]

First question is: how I calculate the normalisation constant A? I guess I have to integrate from 0 to infinity and do a change of variable ... but then I get an ugly integral with the Bessel function divided by r

Second question: how do I estimate the first energies giving values to g and a? Should I seek the zeros of the bessel function?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2012 #2
    Hi,

I think I see question 2 now.
    The Bessel functions are only finite at the origin when the order [itex]\nu[/itex] is a positive integer. Then I only have to be sure K is big enough for the Bessel functions to have 3 zeros, that's it bigger than 5.1356 which is the first zero of J2 . This gives me a relation between a and g.
    Then the energies are compute for [itex]\nu[/itex] = 0,1 and 2

For the first question I think there is a series expansion of the bessel functions from where I can take the constant A.

Regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook