Energy momentum of linearized gravity.

In summary, you say that you "found" your Lagrangian, which is just an approximation for the vacuum Einstein equations with T=0.
IRobot
Hi,

I am doing a problem of GR dealing with weak field limit equations. After decoupling the static and dynamical part the usual way ([itex]g^{ab}=\eta^{ab}-h^{ab}[/itex]) I arrived at those field equations:

[itex]
\frac12 \eta^{ab}\partial_a \partial_b h_{\mu\nu} - \frac12 h^{ab}(\partial_a\partial_b h_{\mu\nu} -\partial_a \partial_{\nu} h_{\mu b} - \partial_{\mu}\partial_b h_{a\nu} + \partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}h_{ab}) -\frac14 (\partial_a h_{b\nu} +\partial_{\nu}h_{ab} -\partial_b h_{a\nu})(\partial_{\mu}h^{ab} + \partial^a h^{b}_{\mu} - \partial^bh_{\mu}^a) + \mathcal{O}(h^3) = 0
[/itex]

The first term being the operator on the field, the rest should be the source (stress energy tensor of the spin-2 field because we are in vaccum) but I can't derive this stress energy from the naive Lagrangian [itex]\cal{L} = \frac14 (\partial^ah_{\mu\nu})^2[/itex]. Plus one question is: "What are the conditions to interpret that as a stress-energy tensor?"

Some help/tips will be more than welcomed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You say "equations" but there are no equal signs...

Yeah, fixed it. By the way, I think I "found my Lagrangian", [itex]\cal{L}=\frac14 g^{ab}\partial_a h_{\mu\nu} \partial_b h^{\mu\nu}[/itex]. I should have seen from beginning that I needed terms cubic in the Lagrangian to get quadratic in the field equations.

IRobot said:
... the rest should be the source (stress energy tensor of the spin-2 field because we are in vaccum) ...

Usually there is no stress-energy-tensor for the gravitational field; the r.h.s. of the Einstein field equations is T expressed in terms of non-gravitational fields; in vacuum you have T=0. The weak field limit for gravitational waves in vacuum is nothing else but an approximation for the vacuum Einstein equations with T=0.

tom.stoer said:
Usually there is no stress-energy-tensor for the gravitational field; the r.h.s. of the Einstein field equations is T expressed in terms of non-gravitational fields; in vacuum you have T=0. The weak field limit for gravitational waves in vacuum is nothing else but an approximation for the vacuum Einstein equations with T=0.

You are right; however, in the linearized regime, the second order perturbations in the metric can "act like" an effective stress-energy tensor, but with some caveats. The stress energy tensor constructed from the second order perturbations are not gauge invariant.

To get this result, you don't need to go quartic or cubic in the field equations. I refer to Wald pg. 84 to 86 for a more detailed discussion.

1. What is the Energy Momentum Tensor in linearized gravity?

The Energy Momentum Tensor in linearized gravity is a mathematical object that describes the distribution of energy and momentum in a gravitational field. It is a symmetric tensor with 10 components, representing the 10 independent physical quantities of energy and momentum.

2. How is the Energy Momentum Tensor derived in linearized gravity?

The Energy Momentum Tensor in linearized gravity is derived from the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy. In the linearized approximation, the equations are expanded to first order, resulting in a linear relationship between the curvature and the energy momentum tensor.

3. What is the physical significance of the Energy Momentum Tensor in linearized gravity?

The Energy Momentum Tensor is a fundamental quantity in general relativity and plays a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of gravitational fields. It describes how matter and energy interact with the curvature of spacetime, and how this curvature affects the motion of matter and energy.

4. How is the Energy Momentum Tensor used in calculations in linearized gravity?

The Energy Momentum Tensor is used in calculations to determine the behavior of gravitational fields and the motion of particles in those fields. It is also used to calculate the effects of gravitational waves and other phenomena in general relativity.

5. Can the Energy Momentum Tensor be used to describe other types of energy and momentum?

Yes, the Energy Momentum Tensor in linearized gravity can also be used to describe other forms of energy and momentum, such as electromagnetic and nuclear energy. It is a universal quantity that encompasses all types of energy and momentum in the context of general relativity.