1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy-Momentum tensor components for complex Klein-Gorden field

1. Oct 28, 2014 #1
    Hey guys,

So I have the stress energy tensor written as follows in my notes for the complex Klein-Gordon field:

[itex]T^{\mu\nu}=(\partial^{\mu}\phi)^{\dagger}(\partial^{\nu}\phi)+(\partial^{\mu}\phi)(\partial^{\nu}\phi^{\dagger})-\mathcal{L}g^{\mu\nu}[/itex]

Then I have the next statement that [itex]T^{0i}[/itex] is given by

[itex]T^{0i}=-[(\partial_{t}\phi)^{\dagger}\nabla^{i}\phi+(\partial_{t}\phi)\nabla^{i}\phi^{\dagger}][/itex]

And I was wondering how this comes about. I can sort of see what's happened here. Obviously you replace mu and nu with 0 and i respectively to split the spatial and time derivatives. However I have a couple of questions:

1) is it true that [itex]\partial^{t}\phi=-\partial_{t}\phi[/itex]?
    2) why does the Lagrangian density at the end, [itex]\mathcal{L}g^{\mu\nu}[/itex] drop out?

Thanks a lot guys :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2014 #2
    Okay maybe I know why the Lagrangian density drops out...is it cos [itex]g^{\mu\nu}[/itex] is diagonal and so [itex]g^{0i}[/itex], for i = 1, 2, 3, are off-diagonal elements which are 0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook