Energy-Momentum tensor components for complex Klein-Gorden field

In summary, the stress energy tensor for the complex Klein-Gordon field is given by T^{\mu\nu}=(\partial^{\mu}\phi)^{\dagger}(\partial^{\nu}\phi)+(\partial^{\mu}\phi)(\partial^{\nu}\phi^{\dagger})-\mathcal{L}g^{\mu\nu}. This can be used to determine T^{0i}=-[(\partial_{t}\phi)^{\dagger}\nabla^{i}\phi+(\partial_{t}\phi)\nabla^{i}\phi^{\dagger}]. The Lagrangian density drops out because g^{\mu\nu} is diagonal and g^{
Dixanadu
Hey guys,

So I have the stress energy tensor written as follows in my notes for the complex Klein-Gordon field:

[itex]T^{\mu\nu}=(\partial^{\mu}\phi)^{\dagger}(\partial^{\nu}\phi)+(\partial^{\mu}\phi)(\partial^{\nu}\phi^{\dagger})-\mathcal{L}g^{\mu\nu}[/itex]

Then I have the next statement that [itex]T^{0i}[/itex] is given by

[itex]T^{0i}=-[(\partial_{t}\phi)^{\dagger}\nabla^{i}\phi+(\partial_{t}\phi)\nabla^{i}\phi^{\dagger}][/itex]

And I was wondering how this comes about. I can sort of see what's happened here. Obviously you replace mu and nu with 0 and i respectively to split the spatial and time derivatives. However I have a couple of questions:

1) is it true that [itex]\partial^{t}\phi=-\partial_{t}\phi[/itex]?
2) why does the Lagrangian density at the end, [itex]\mathcal{L}g^{\mu\nu}[/itex] drop out?

Thanks a lot guys :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay maybe I know why the Lagrangian density drops out...is it cos [itex]g^{\mu\nu}[/itex] is diagonal and so [itex]g^{0i}[/itex], for i = 1, 2, 3, are off-diagonal elements which are 0?

1. What is the Energy-Momentum tensor for a complex Klein-Gordon field?

The Energy-Momentum tensor for a complex Klein-Gordon field is a mathematical object that describes the energy and momentum density of the field at each point in space and time. It is a symmetric tensor with four components, representing the energy density, x-momentum density, y-momentum density, and z-momentum density.

2. How is the Energy-Momentum tensor calculated for a complex Klein-Gordon field?

The Energy-Momentum tensor for a complex Klein-Gordon field can be calculated using the Lagrangian density, which is a function that describes the dynamics of the field. The tensor is given by the expression Tμν = (∂L/∂(∂μφ))∂νφ - ημνL, where φ is the field and ημν is the Minkowski metric tensor.

3. What physical quantities can be obtained from the Energy-Momentum tensor for a complex Klein-Gordon field?

The Energy-Momentum tensor for a complex Klein-Gordon field can be used to calculate the total energy and momentum of the field, as well as the energy and momentum fluxes. It can also be used to derive the equations of motion for the field.

4. How does the Energy-Momentum tensor for a complex Klein-Gordon field relate to conservation laws?

The Energy-Momentum tensor for a complex Klein-Gordon field satisfies the conservation laws of energy and momentum. This means that the total energy and momentum of the field is conserved over time, and any changes in energy and momentum are balanced by energy and momentum fluxes.

5. How does the Energy-Momentum tensor for a complex Klein-Gordon field differ from that of a real Klein-Gordon field?

The Energy-Momentum tensor for a complex Klein-Gordon field has twice as many components as that of a real Klein-Gordon field. This is because the complex field has two independent degrees of freedom, while the real field only has one. Additionally, the complex field has a non-zero x-momentum density, while the real field does not.