Energy-Momentum Tensor for a particle

• Thread starter PML
  • Start date

PML

Hello everyone,

I was studying how to define, formally, an energy-momentum tensor for a point particle.

I was reading this two references:http://academic.reed.edu/physics/courses/Physics411/html/page2/files/Lecture.19.pdf , page 1; and http://th-www.if.uj.edu.pl/acta/vol29/pdf/v29p1033.pdf page 1038.

They both start from an action that I understand, it's just the action for a particle moving in space time. They, then, differentiate the action with respect to the metric to get the energy-momentum tensor, but then, somehow, they arrive at an expression that has the dirac delta in it...
Can anyone help me out?

Thank you

They, then, differentiate the action with respect to the metric to get the energy-momentum tensor, but then, somehow, they arrive at an expression that has the dirac delta in it...
That's because, as noted on page 2 of your first reference, the action in question needs to be a Lagrangian density, i.e., something you integrate over a 4-volume; but equation 19.1 of that paper, the usual action for a point particle in SR, is not a Lagrangian density. The delta function comes in when you try to make it one (basically because you have to pick out just the points in the 4-volume that lie on the point particle's worldline).