Energy needed for car to travel-thermodynamics

In summary, the question is asking how much energy a car uses when traveling 150 km at a rate of 25 miles per (British) gallon. Using unit conversion, it can be determined that 150 km is equivalent to 40.225 km per gallon, which is then multiplied by 68% to find the mass of gasoline needed for the trip. This mass is then multiplied by the energy yield of gasoline, 4.8x10^7 J/kg, to find the total energy used, which is approximately 1.22x10^9J.
aal0315

Homework Statement

Gasoline yields 4.8x10^7 J/kg when burned. How much energy does a car use traveling a distance of 150 km if it gets 25 miles per (British) gallon? Assume that the density of gasoline is 68% that of water.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to begin with this question. All i know is that 25mpg is equal to 40.225km per gallon.
Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The crux of this question really is in unit conversion. It assumes that you know that a litre of water has a mass of 1 kg so that you can work out the mass of 25 gallons of gasoline.

Does this help?

So i do 40.225 x 68% = 27.35 kg to get the mass of 25 gallons of gasoline?

and what next? I don't know a formula to figure out the energy given the information.

ok does this look right to anyone:
25gallons x 1.609 = 40.225km per gallon

150km/40.225 = 3.729 gallons to travel 150km

3.729 x 68% = 2.536kg

2.536 x 4.8x10^7J/kg = 1.22x10^9J ?

One of the most helpful tools I have found is the Unit Conversion in Excel (http://www.unitconversionaddin.com ). This simply works because students (like me) are able to do the unit conversion automatically in excel like a program. I don't have to either search on the internet for the conversion value or have to write out some excel function. The download is like 5 bucks and has saved me hours of stress and time.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does the energy needed for a car to travel relate to thermodynamics?

The energy needed for a car to travel is the amount of energy required to overcome the various forces acting against the car's motion, such as friction and air resistance. These forces are governed by the laws of thermodynamics, which describe how energy is transferred and transformed in a system.

2. What factors affect the energy needed for a car to travel?

The energy needed for a car to travel is affected by multiple factors, including the car's weight, speed, and aerodynamic design. Other factors such as road conditions, altitude, and weather can also impact the energy needed for a car to travel.

3. How is the efficiency of a car's engine related to the energy needed for it to travel?

The efficiency of a car's engine is directly related to the energy needed for it to travel. In simple terms, a more efficient engine will require less energy to do the same amount of work, resulting in better fuel economy and lower energy consumption.

4. How does heat transfer play a role in the energy needed for a car to travel?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in the energy needed for a car to travel. The engine of a car converts chemical energy from fuel into heat energy, which is then converted into mechanical energy to power the car's movement. However, some of this heat energy is lost through heat transfer, reducing the overall efficiency of the car.

5. How can the energy needed for a car to travel be reduced?

The energy needed for a car to travel can be reduced in several ways. One way is to improve the car's aerodynamic design to reduce air resistance. Another way is to use lighter materials in the car's construction to reduce its weight. Additionally, regularly maintaining and tuning the car's engine can also improve its efficiency and reduce the energy needed for it to travel.