Energy content of gasoline and hydrogen comparative math question

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 8K views
haruspex said:
Yes, you haven't used the final ratio: 70g CO2 corresponds to 1MJ energy.
If 1 gal gasoline releases 133,155 g of CO2, and each 70g CO2 indicates 1MJ of energy, how many MJ for the whole gallon?

When I did this I got 1902.214 MJ. Is this right?

If so how would I go about doing part B?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait I realized that is only for 1 gallon so I got 28530 MJ
 
courtneywetts said:
When I did this I got 1902.214 MJ. Is this right?
that is only for 1 gallon so I got 28530 MJ
Right!
If so how would I go about doing part B?
This is much easier. you have 15 gals at 12.8 MJ/m^3.
 
haruspex said:
Right!

This is much easier. you have 15 gals at 12.8 MJ/m^3.

I don't understand what this means though? Is this all the information I need?
 
courtneywetts said:
I don't understand what this means though? Is this all the information I need?
The only other information you need is how to convert US gallons to m3. Look it up.
 
haruspex said:
Yes. So you have, for burning gasoline:
  • 12 atomic masses C corresponds to 44 atomic masses CO2
  • 70g CO2 corresponds to 1MJ energy
  • 1 gallon gasoline corresponds to 36,315 g C
So how many J energy correspond to 1 gallon gasoline?

This is incorrect. According to the attachment in Post #4, 1 gallon of gasoline has a carbon content of 2421 g, not 36,315 g. The latter figure is for 15 gallons of gasoline.
 
SteamKing said:
This is incorrect. According to the attachment in Post #4, 1 gallon of gasoline has a carbon content of 2421 g, not 36,315 g. The latter figure is for 15 gallons of gasoline.
Well spotted - thanks. But fortunately courtneywetts used the right ratio later.