1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Needed To Go A Given Speed

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    Hey, I don't have much of a physics background.

I have been searching for an equation that shows how much energy is needed to make a given mass go a given speed.

For example, lets say I want to send 1 gram at half light speed. How much energy is required?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like you want to calculate the kinetic energy of the mass.

For low speeds (compared to the speed of light) the kinetic energy is KE = ½mv². But for fast speeds, it's a bit more complicated:
    76cc95f8c7e7d0edde43428308072182.png

(I can't seem to get Latex to work.)

4. Jun 18, 2011 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Sothh! Welcome to PF! :smile:

For a speed of v metres per second, the energy of a mass of m kilograms is mc2/√(1 - v2/c2) joules.

If v = 0 (the mass is at rest), that energy is obviously just mc2, which is therefore called the rest-mass.

So the extra energy needed to get it to speed v (the kinetic energy) is mc2(1/√(1 - v2/c2) - 1) joules. :wink:

If v/c is very small, then that extra (kinetic) energy is approximately mc2(v2/2c2), ie mv2/2.

5. Jun 18, 2011 #4
    Thanks!

Just to confirm I am using this correctly, it should take 20 kilograms around 9e+12 kilojoules to go .1c, correct?

6. Jun 18, 2011 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds about right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook