Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Needed To Go A Given Speed

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    Hey, I don't have much of a physics background.

I have been searching for an equation that shows how much energy is needed to make a given mass go a given speed.

For example, lets say I want to send 1 gram at half light speed. How much energy is required?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like you want to calculate the kinetic energy of the mass.

For low speeds (compared to the speed of light) the kinetic energy is KE = ½mv². But for fast speeds, it's a bit more complicated:
    76cc95f8c7e7d0edde43428308072182.png

(I can't seem to get Latex to work.)

4. Jun 18, 2011 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Sothh! Welcome to PF! :smile:

For a speed of v metres per second, the energy of a mass of m kilograms is mc2/√(1 - v2/c2) joules.

If v = 0 (the mass is at rest), that energy is obviously just mc2, which is therefore called the rest-mass.

So the extra energy needed to get it to speed v (the kinetic energy) is mc2(1/√(1 - v2/c2) - 1) joules. :wink:

If v/c is very small, then that extra (kinetic) energy is approximately mc2(v2/2c2), ie mv2/2.

5. Jun 18, 2011 #4
    Thanks!

Just to confirm I am using this correctly, it should take 20 kilograms around 9e+12 kilojoules to go .1c, correct?

6. Jun 18, 2011 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds about right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook