Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Needed to Maintain Velocity

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    I know how to figure out how much energy is needed to acclerate to a certain speed. What I don't know is how much energy is needed to maintain that speed.

For example. I was watching the first Trek movie the other day, and Kirk orders the Enterprise to go to .5 light speed. So the Enterperise goes from 0 to 150M meters per second in like 5 seconds. I wondered how much force would be needed to do that, so I calculated:

F = M * A
    The ship has a mass of 200,000 metric tons, so 200,000,000 kg * acceleration, which going from 0 to .5 light in 5 seconds would be 30,000,000 meters per second per second (i hope that's right).

That gave me 6*10^15 Newtons (damn!)

I then tried to see what this would be in joules, so I next calculated the distance traveled, using:

Distance = .5*Acceleration*Time^2
    .5*30,000,000*(5^2)

That gave me 375,000,000 meters.

To then calculate joules, I used W(joules) = Force * Distance
    6*10^15 * 375,000,000

That gave me 2.25*10^24 joules of energy needed to accelerate a 200,000 metric ton object to .5 light speed in 5 seconds (please correct me if I'm wrong).

My question, how many joules per second is needed to maintain that speed?

This is not homework. I'm just a nerd.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2
    0 Joules/sec are necessary, if you are traveling in a vacuum(space) see newtons first law. Also, the energy required to get up the speed is a little more than you calculated because when you increase your speed, your mass increases as well, see special relativity / einstein. But, your method of calculations are right if you ignore special relativity ( I didnt actually do your calculations). You don't need to calculate the energy from force times d, you can use 1/2 m v^2 too. (would have been quicker, but same answer.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook