Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Energy principle and circular/ellipse orbits

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    Question is as follows:
    How much energy do i need when i move an object with a mass M from a circular orbit with a radius of R_1 to an ellipse orbit with aphelion radius of R_2.

I'm assuming energy principle is the way to go here but it leads to a question i'd like someone to help me out with.

Do i need to assume the perihelion radius of the new orbit (aphelion radius R_2) is the circular orbit's radius R_1?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You can assume anything you like; The answer you get will depend upon your assumptions :smile:

The Total Specific Mechanical Energy, [itex] \xi [/itex], of an orbit is inversely proportional to the size of its major axis. Thus [itex] \xi = -\frac{\mu}{2 a} [/itex] . The length of the major axis, in turn, is the sum of the perihelion and aphelion distances. Specific Mechanical Energy is the energy per unit mass; Multiply by mass of the orbiting object to get the energy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43440&stc=1&d=1328281671.gif

Attached Files:

4. Feb 3, 2012 #3
    Yea, i presumed as much. To get the energy change needed i'd have to go

[itex]\Delta E = -\frac{GMm}{2a} - \frac{1}{2}mv_1^2 + \frac{GMm}{R_1}[/itex]

So basically ellipse orbit total energy minus circular orbit total energy. Since i wasn't given the semi-major axis but only the aphelion radius of the ellipse orbit, i would think i'd need to assume the perihelion radius is the R_1. Either way, i think i'm going with this.
    Whatever the case, thanks for the reply!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook