Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy project for Universities implementation

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    Hello all, this is my first time posting here so please excuse if this maybe isn't the appropriate thread to post this in but I figured it may be the most relevant. I am working on writing a proposal (small, just 450 words), that aims to address the energy efficiency of a university, ie., something that's feasible to implement in a university in order to either increase the energy efficiency of the university or work on reducing pollution (most commonly greenhouse gasses) without sacrificing efficiency. Basically I'm just asking around to see if anyone would have any novel idea's or knows of projects that would potentially fit the criterion. The only other stipulation is if this proposal is 'funded' there are only 50,000 dollars to be disbursed to the winner, so it should also fall within that financial constraint. Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What are your thoughts so far? What reading have you done about existing similar projects? What environment is assumed for the university (like, is it in a particular climate, with some renewable energy resources nearby, etc.)?

4. Mar 2, 2015 #3
    Currently a little lost, due to the sheer breadth of topics out there but upon re-evaluation of the template I noticed that the energy project not need be pertinent to the university just that it be feasibly funded with 50k. I had originally wanted to look smaller, fast neutron breeder reactors but there are several (very salient) issues with that such as finances and nuclear proliferation, especially breeding Pu-239. I do not have much vested interest in other areas of renewable energy, which is where my issue stems from I tend to focus a lot on nuclear technology. However as previously stated, it is completely unrealistic with the budget given. If anyone could even provide a few solid jumping off points, just for me to then go and do some follow up research on that would be very much appreciated! [Of course more detailed answers are always appreciated as well ;) ]

5. Mar 2, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

One of the themes here at the PF is that students should be helped to "learn how to learn". That generally means that the student asking for help needs to show a lot of effort on their own before we can offer much extra help.

So for example, what kinds of topics have you found on Google when you look at energy efficiency in buildings and campuses? And what kinds of approaches have been used at real campuses recently? I know there must be many examples of good approaches that have been cost-effective.

If you are not constrained to submit the proposal for a particular university, then maybe you can pick one that is near some handy renewable energy supply (falling water, lots of sunshine, geothermal energy, wind power, etc...), and focus your proposal on using those local climate characteristics to the university's advantage...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook