Energy splitting in hyperfine structure

In summary: The first approximation would be ##\frac{F_0+5}{F_0+4} = \frac{1.25}{1.57}##, and the next would be ##\frac{F_0+4}{F_0+3} = \frac{1.57}{1.88} \approx \frac{5}{6}##.
Kara386

Homework Statement

I've been given the worked answer to a very similar question, but there's a step I don't understand so I can't apply it. My question asks:
An energy level with ##J=\frac{11}{2}## has six hyperfine sub-levels with these relative energies:
0, 2.51, 4.71, 6.59, 8.16, 9.41 (GHz)
What is the value of I? Show the spacing obeys the interval rule and determine the value of F for each sub-level.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So based on this example question I have, start from the fact that ##F = |I-J|...(I+J)##, integer steps, and label the lowest sub-level as ##F_0 = |I-\frac{11}{2}|##. That means I have energy levels from ##F_0## to ##F_0 +5##. Then I can make a table:
##
\begin{array}{|c|c|}
\hline
F & \Delta E_F -\Delta E_{F-1}\\ \hline
F_0 +5 & 1.25 \\ \hline
F_0 + 4 & 1.57 \\ \hline
F_0 + 3 & 1.88 \\ \hline
F_0 + 2 & 2.2 \\ \hline
F_0 + 1 & 2.51 \\ \hline
\end{array}##
Found by referring back to the listed energy levels, so ##F_0 + 5 = 9.41 - 8.16## and so on. Then take ratios of energy splittings, and here's what I don't understand. From
##\frac{F_0+5}{F_0 + 4} = \frac{1.25}{1.57}##, a value for ##F_0 +5## is deduced.

In the example it states
##\frac{F_0 +2}{F_0 +1} = \frac{202}{151}## therefore ##F_0+1 = 3##. How did they work that out? They have ##F_0 = |I - \frac{3}{2}|## and the energy level ##F_0## is at ##151##MeV. Don't understand that step. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kara386 said:
In the example it states
##\frac{F_0 +2}{F_0 +1} = \frac{202}{151}## therefore ##F_0+1 = 3##. How did they work that out?
By finding a small fraction that fits, in this case ##\frac{202}{151} \approx \frac 4 3##. You can find a similar fraction if you divide 1.57 by 1.25, and note a pattern if you continue with 1.88/1.57 and so on.

151 MeV is way too large for the hyperfine structure.

Likes Kara386
mfb said:
By finding a small fraction that fits, in this case ##\frac{202}{151} \approx \frac 4 3##. You can find a similar fraction if you divide 1.57 by 1.25, and note a pattern if you continue with 1.88/1.57 and so on.

Apologies, I meant MHz! 151MeV would be pretty huge. I don't think I can edit it anymore.

mfb said:

Well for my question ##\frac{F_0+5}{F_0+4} = \frac{1.25}{1.57} \approx 0.796 \approx \frac{4}{5}## which gives ##F_0 = -1## or ##1##, so I think I'm doing something wrong. And looking at the next fraction,
##\frac{F_0+4}{F_0+3} = \frac{1.57}{1.88} \approx \frac{5}{6}## again gives two different answers for ##F_0## of 1 and 2. What am I doing wrong? Are the fractions I've approximated to incorrect?

It has been a long time since I last worked with hyperfine structures, but the series of fractions is so clear that it must be the right approach.

1. What is energy splitting in hyperfine structure?

Energy splitting in hyperfine structure refers to the phenomenon where the energy levels of an atom's electron orbitals are split into multiple sub-levels due to interactions with the atom's nucleus. This is caused by the interaction of the electron's magnetic moment with the magnetic moment of the nucleus.

2. How does energy splitting in hyperfine structure occur?

Energy splitting in hyperfine structure occurs due to the presence of a nucleus with non-zero nuclear spin. The spin of the nucleus causes it to have a magnetic moment, which interacts with the magnetic moment of the electron in the atom's orbitals, resulting in the splitting of energy levels.

3. What is the significance of energy splitting in hyperfine structure?

Energy splitting in hyperfine structure is significant because it allows for the observation and study of fine details in atomic spectra. It also provides important information about the properties of nuclei, such as their spin and magnetic moment.

4. How is energy splitting in hyperfine structure measured?

Energy splitting in hyperfine structure is measured using spectroscopic techniques, such as laser spectroscopy or radiofrequency spectroscopy. These techniques involve exciting the atoms and then measuring the resulting energy transitions in the atom's electron orbitals.

5. Is energy splitting in hyperfine structure a constant value?

No, energy splitting in hyperfine structure varies depending on the type of atom and the specific energy level being observed. It also changes as the external magnetic field changes. However, for a given atom and energy level, the energy splitting is a fixed value.