∆ energy when impacted by robot's arm

In summary: They discuss the different units of measurement and the complexities involved in accurately modeling the situation. The physicist suggests using a simplified model to analyze the maximum force between the rod and the hand. They also mention that the human body is not an ideal measuring machine and that factors such as compression and motion in other body parts should be taken into consideration. Another physicist joins the conversation and offers a different perspective, highlighting the importance of balancing forces and moments to accurately calculate the energy absorbed by the hand. They also criticize the other answers for overcomplicating the situation. In summary, a physicist offers help to someone trying to measure the impact on a human hand from a robot
Haim
Hi,

This problem relates to my final's project.

I'm trying to quantify an impact on a human hand from a robot. I've thought about it in Watts, Joules and Newton's. But I ran into a problem when I thought about it like this:

If I have the mechanism (in the drawing)- its energy when falling equals to T=mgh from its center of mass. Which means that in an impact when the rod stops- my hand will absorb all the energy. BUT if I'll get hit from point A it will hurt much more than point B since its linear speed is greater. But the rod will stop either way! Meaning I will absorb all the amount of energy...

Am I wrong? Is the amount of energy is different along the rod (I know it does not make any sense).

I will appreciate any help!
ללא שם.jpg

Likes Clever Penguin
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to consider that the materials involved (including you hand) are compressible. When a real hand collides with an object, both it and the object deform. In you situation, the rod does not stop moving the instant it hits the hand. A graph of the force on the hand due to the rod would would show a force that varied in time.
To model the situation realistically would take some very sophisticated software. Obviously, you hand is attached to you own arm and the rest of your body. If something hits you hand, there is compression and motion in body parts other than your hand. The rod also deforms in a collision.

You could try modeling the situation by replacing the hand with a mass on the end of a hooke's law spring that is fixed at the other end. Perhaps you can analyze the maximum force that appears between the rod and the mass.

The problem is that humans are not ideal scientific measuring machines. There is no SI unit of "hurt". It's far from clear which will hurt more... getting your hand cut off quickly or slowly. Perhaps option A is actually less painful than option B.

In the situation you are looking at is the human free to move? In which case an impact might be the best way to describe the situation, or could they become crushed between the robot and another object? In which case it might be better to worry about the ultimate force or pressure the robot can exert.

Something to be aware of is that many electrical motors are essentially constant velocity devices. The more you increase the load the more power they try to deliver. eg The more you try and slow one down the more it tries to maintain it's velocity. So a robot that can only cause minor impact damage might be capable of serious crush damage unless some type of limiting system is employed.

Haim:

Indeed, if you place your hand at point A, the impact speed will be larger, but the falling robot will not come to a full stop. Its center of mass will continue downwards. So part of the robot's kinetic energy is not transferred to the hand. Hence, your hand absorbs less than mgh in this case.
To calculate how much kinetic energy your hand absorbed, you will need to balance forces AND moments.

Sorry to say, but the other answers by Stephen Tashi and CWatters are missing the point and complicate things unnecessarily. Sorry guys, but of course you may add complications such as the correction from the Earth's recoil, or the non-rigidity of the robot, the arm, the coupling to earth. Considering all these things before even solving the most basic question is worse than not understanding the basic question.

- A bored physicist

1. What is ∆ energy when impacted by robot's arm?

The ∆ energy, or change in energy, when impacted by a robot's arm refers to the difference in energy before and after the impact. This can be calculated by taking into account factors such as the mass and velocity of the robot's arm, as well as the material and properties of the object being impacted.

2. How does the ∆ energy of a robot's arm impact its performance?

The ∆ energy of a robot's arm can greatly impact its performance. If the arm has too little energy, it may not be able to complete tasks effectively. On the other hand, if the arm has too much energy, it may cause damage to objects or itself. Therefore, it is important for scientists to carefully consider and control the ∆ energy of a robot's arm to optimize its performance.

3. What safety measures should be taken when dealing with the ∆ energy of a robot's arm?

Safety is a crucial factor when working with the ∆ energy of a robot's arm. Protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn to prevent any injuries from potential impacts. Additionally, safety protocols should be in place to ensure that the arm is not operating at dangerously high energy levels.

4. How can the ∆ energy of a robot's arm be controlled?

The ∆ energy of a robot's arm can be controlled through various means. Scientists can adjust the arm's velocity, mass, and materials to alter its energy output. Additionally, programming and sensors can be used to limit the arm's energy output and prevent it from exceeding safe levels.

5. What are the potential applications of studying the ∆ energy of a robot's arm?

Studying the ∆ energy of a robot's arm can have many applications in various fields. For example, it can help improve the design and performance of robotic arms used in manufacturing and assembly processes. It can also aid in the development of safer and more efficient robotic arms for use in hazardous environments, such as in space or disaster zones.