Engaging in researchwork in Astronomy

• Thread starter amalmirando
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary, a research group in Astronomy and Astrophysics has been formed at a department with young undergraduates who are eager to engage in research. As there is not much research being done in Astrophysics in Sri Lanka, the students are looking for opportunities to assist in research being conducted in foreign countries, such as projects with NASA or KEPLER. One potential option for obtaining astronomical data is through the website Galaxy Zoo, and another is through Sloan and its available star coverage and spectrum data.
amalmirando
Hi,
Recently, at our department we formed a research group in Astronomy and Astrophysics with a bunch of young enthusiastic undergraduates who are keen on engaging in research work. Since not much research work in Astrophysics being carried out in Sri Lanka, the students are bit disappointed at the moment.

Therefore we are looking at possibilities of assisting in research work carried out in foreign countries.

So anybody aware of such opportunities for our group to somewhat assist the scientists in major projects that are being carried out in collaboration with NASA or other projects like the KEPLER etc.

Science news on Phys.org
I don't think this is as technical as you are wanting, but it might be of interest nonetheless:
http://www.galaxyzoo.org/

Thanks a lot

Keep in mind there are many ways to get astronomical data for use, most notably Sloan which has lots of star coverage, and also I believe spectrum available.

http://casjobs.sdss.org/casjobs/

I am excited to hear about your new research group in Astronomy and Astrophysics. It is always encouraging to see young students interested in pursuing research in this field. I understand your concern about the limited research opportunities in Sri Lanka, but I am glad to hear that you are exploring possibilities for collaboration with scientists from other countries.

There are definitely opportunities for your group to assist in research projects with organizations like NASA or projects like KEPLER. One option is to reach out to these organizations directly and inquire about any ongoing projects that may require assistance. Another option is to attend international conferences or workshops in Astronomy and Astrophysics, where you can network with scientists from different countries and explore potential collaborations.

I would also suggest looking into online databases and platforms that connect researchers from different countries, such as ResearchGate or Academia.edu. These platforms allow you to connect with scientists working on similar research topics and potentially collaborate on projects.

Overall, I am confident that with determination and perseverance, your group will be able to find opportunities to contribute to research in Astronomy and Astrophysics beyond Sri Lanka. Keep up the enthusiasm and passion for science!

1. What is involved in engaging in research work in Astronomy?

Engaging in research work in Astronomy typically involves conducting observations, analyzing data, and developing theories and models to better understand the universe. It may also involve collaboration with other scientists, writing and publishing research papers, and presenting findings at conferences.

2. What skills are needed for research work in Astronomy?

Research work in Astronomy requires strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as proficiency in mathematics and computer programming. It also requires attention to detail, patience, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.

3. How do I get involved in research work in Astronomy?

To get involved in research work in Astronomy, one typically needs to have a degree in Astronomy, Physics, or a related field. It is also helpful to have experience with research methods and techniques, as well as a strong interest in the subject. Networking with other scientists and applying for research positions or internships are also good ways to get involved.

4. What are some current research topics in Astronomy?

Some current research topics in Astronomy include the study of exoplanets, black holes, dark matter and dark energy, the early universe, and the search for extraterrestrial life. Other areas of research include cosmology, stellar evolution, and the formation of galaxies.

5. How does research work in Astronomy contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Research work in Astronomy is crucial to expanding our knowledge and understanding of the universe. By studying different objects and phenomena in the universe, scientists can develop theories and models that help explain how the universe works. This research also allows us to make advancements in technology and potentially discover new discoveries and insights about the universe.