Engineering books recommendation

In summary: For geology, Principles of Engineering Geology by Attewell and Farmer is a good choice. For surveying, Elementary Surveying by Wolf and Ghilani is recommended. All of these are available in PDF format.
median27
Hi, I'm an incoming 3rd yr. civil engineering student from the Philippines. During my previous years as a freshman and a sophomore student, i only rely on books present in our engineering library whether it is a good material or not.During those days I don't even bother the substance of the book as long as it helps me to study and have some variety of references. My 1st and 2nd years in this college were fine... getting average grades along with average performance resulted from being ill-motivated, and (i believe) from lack of good materials.But being on that condition, i still managed to get some test exemptions from my higher maths and physics and outsmart the majority of my classmates (inferiority complex?). Regrets haunts me later on for not doing my best and for not learning the whole material as well. And the hardest part of it was i easily forget everything what i have learned.

And now, as I'm entering my 3rd year which is one of the crucial part of my course (as they say), i'd like to refresh and master all of my previous maths to become more competent and be confidence of my knowledge.

Can you recommend me good engineering books; from college algebra, trigonometry up to engineering majors? Thanks for responding.

Engineering news on Phys.org
'Advanced engineering mathematics' by Kreyszig (9780470084847) is pretty good. ODEs, linear algebra, PDEs, complex analysis, numeric analysis software, optimization / graphs, probability / statistics. I used it in my graduate engineering math course.

How about books for engineering mechanics(static), engineering geology, thermodynamics, and elementary and higher surveying?

Kindly include PDF files if possible.

Thanks.

Mechanics of Materials by Beer is a good one. So is Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics by VanWylen and Sonntag.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience as a civil engineering student. It sounds like you have faced some challenges in your first two years, but you are determined to improve and excel in your studies. That is a great attitude to have and I commend you for taking the initiative to seek out recommendations for good engineering books.

I understand the importance of having reliable and informative resources for learning. It is crucial to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals in order to excel in any field, especially in engineering. With that being said, I would recommend starting with textbooks that cover the basic principles of mathematics, such as "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart or "Engineering Mathematics" by K.A. Stroud. These books cover topics from college algebra and trigonometry to calculus, which are essential for understanding engineering concepts.

For specific engineering majors, I suggest looking for textbooks that are recommended by your professors or other professionals in the field. Some popular and highly regarded textbooks include "Structural Analysis" by R.C. Hibbeler for civil engineering, "Mechanics of Materials" by Ferdinand Beer and E. Russell Johnston Jr. for mechanical engineering, and "Electrical Engineering: Principles and Applications" by Allan R. Hambley for electrical engineering.

In addition to textbooks, I also recommend seeking out online resources such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare, which offer free courses and lectures on various engineering topics. These can serve as supplementary materials to further enhance your understanding and mastery of the subjects.

Finally, I would like to stress the importance of not just relying on books and resources, but also actively engaging in your studies. Make sure to attend lectures, participate in class discussions, and seek help from your professors or classmates when needed. With hard work and determination, I have no doubt that you will excel in your studies and become a successful engineer.

Best of luck in your studies and future endeavors.

Sincerely,

What are the top engineering books recommended for beginners?

Some of the top engineering books recommended for beginners include "Introduction to Engineering" by Paul H. Wright, "Engineering: A Very Short Introduction" by David Blockley, and "The New Science of Strong Materials: Or Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor" by J.E. Gordon.

What are the best engineering books for specific disciplines, such as mechanical or electrical engineering?

For mechanical engineering, popular books include "Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam" by Michael R. Lindeburg and "Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design" by Richard G. Budynas and Keith J. Nisbett. For electrical engineering, "Principles of Power Systems" by V.K. Mehta and Rohit Mehta and "Electric Machinery Fundamentals" by Stephen J. Chapman are highly recommended.

Are there any engineering books that cover both theory and practical applications?

Yes, there are many engineering books that cover both theory and practical applications. Some examples include "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran, "Introduction to Environmental Engineering and Science" by Gilbert M. Masters and Wendell P. Ela, and "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White.

What are the best engineering books for advanced students or professionals?

For advanced students or professionals, some recommended engineering books include "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig, "Structural Analysis" by R.C. Hibbeler, and "Control Systems Engineering" by Norman S. Nise.

Are there any engineering books that focus on specific industries, such as aerospace or biomedical engineering?

Yes, there are engineering books that focus on specific industries. For aerospace engineering, "Aircraft Structures for Engineering Students" by T.H.G. Megson and "Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach" by Daniel P. Raymer are popular choices. For biomedical engineering, "Biomedical Engineering: Bridging Medicine and Technology" by W. Mark Saltzman and "Introduction to Biomedical Engineering" by John Enderle et al. are highly recommended.