Engineering carrer guidance required

In summary, the person is a high school senior interested in becoming an engineer. Their first choice is software engineering due to their interest in computers and proficiency in math. They are seeking advice and information on the career path and have heard that skills in this field become outdated quickly. They are also considering petroleum engineering and want to know what they need to study to become a petroleum engineer. The conversation discusses the importance of continuous learning in the engineering field and suggests researching college programs to find the best fit. It also mentions the importance of mastering foundational skills and keeping up with industry advancements.
narutoish
hi i am high school senior and looking forward to becoming an engineer. my first choice is software engineering because i like working with computers and i am good with math. if any of you guys can provide any information/advice realated to the career it would be appreciated. i have heard that software engineers are only good for a couple of years, and after that their skills are outdated, so please let me know if that's true. also let me know how i should progress from here on.

my second option was petroleum engineering, so any advice/information related to that would also be helpful. though i want to know what you have to study to become petroluem engineer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You heard nonsense from someone who knows nothing of which he or she speaks.

Here's the deal: Engineers of all kinds continue learning in the field. It is even a requirement in most states in order to maintain a professional engineering certificate (soon to become available for software engineers).

It is true, you can do this to yourself if you fail to keep pace with industry. If you're not careful, you too can wake up one morning and discover that everyone else is writing software for a totally new or wild language, application, or platform.

If I were you, I'd keep pace with the things happening in the embedded software design world. This is about to go through a significant revolution when people start embedding security and authentication features into high reliability and high availability products.

But that said, nobody is an expert at predicting where the next big thing will be with computing platforms. Although I have opinions on it, it is highly likely that I'm completely wrong.

At the end of the day, these are your decisions and your mistakes to make. Do me a favor and make your mistakes on something new that nobody has seen before. I hate seeing people do the same dumb mistakes over and over again...

"Here's the deal: Engineers of all kinds continue learning in the field."

Precisely the case.

@OP: Seeing as you're interested in computers, you should look into programs pertaining to computer science, software engineering and hardware engineering.

Some schools often combine the last two into a single computer engineering degree where you specialize in software, hardware, robotics, etc in the end.

If you have an idea of where you're going for college, I would suggest you check their curriculum and degree programs.

narutoish said:
hi i am high school senior and looking forward to becoming an engineer. my first choice is software engineering because i like working with computers and i am good with math. if any of you guys can provide any information/advice realated to the career it would be appreciated. i have heard that software engineers are only good for a couple of years, and after that their skills are outdated, so please let me know if that's true. also let me know how i should progress from here on.

my second option was petroleum engineering, so any advice/information related to that would also be helpful. though i want to know what you have to study to become petroluem engineer.

In software engineering, there are things that are outdated really quickly, like the newest hottest language/framework/platform and whatnot. Then, there are things that remain useful for very long time, such as algorithms/math. Fortunately, in the universities they teach you things that remain useful, so it's a good idea to get a degree in computer science. Eventually you develop a taste for what you should master and what is use and forget.

The spirit is, if you have learned the foundations really well, then you're supposed to pick up the newest and hottest without much problem, at least no more problem than other people.

I also find these hints very interesting: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/CollegeAdvice.html

First of all, congratulations on choosing engineering as your career path! It is a challenging and rewarding field that offers a wide range of opportunities.

In terms of software engineering, it is true that technology is constantly evolving and new skills are required to stay current in the field. However, this is true for any career in the tech industry. As a software engineer, it is important to continuously update your skills and stay informed about new technologies and trends. This can be done through self-study, attending workshops and conferences, and working on personal projects.

As for your second option, petroleum engineering, it is a specialized field that involves the exploration, extraction, and production of oil and gas. To become a petroleum engineer, you will need to have a strong background in math, physics, and chemistry. It is also important to have good problem-solving skills and be detail-oriented. Many universities offer specific programs in petroleum engineering, so make sure to research and choose a reputable institution.

In terms of career progression, internships and co-op programs are a great way to gain hands-on experience and make connections in the industry. Networking is also important, so attend career fairs and join professional organizations in your chosen field.

Overall, my advice would be to stay curious, continuously learn and adapt, and be open to different opportunities in the engineering field. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. It is a broad field that encompasses many different disciplines and specializations.

What are the different types of engineering?

There are many different types of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, aerospace, and biomedical engineering. Each type focuses on specific areas of study and application, but all use similar problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

What skills are needed for a successful engineering career?

A successful engineering career requires a combination of technical skills, such as math and science proficiency, as well as soft skills like problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, and teamwork. Adaptability, creativity, and attention to detail are also important qualities for engineers.

What education is required for an engineering career?

Most engineering positions require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some specialized roles may require a master's or doctoral degree. It is also important to continuously pursue professional development and stay current with advancements in the field.

What job opportunities are available for engineers?

Engineers can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, construction, transportation, energy, and technology. They can also specialize in different areas within their field, such as research and development, consulting, or project management. The demand for engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, providing numerous job opportunities.