Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering challenges of urban wingsuit

1. May 13, 2013 #1
    What would be the engineering challenges of designing/constructing an urban wing-suit?

To clarify, I am talking about a wing-suit that can allow a user to jump off a house or of mid-large sized building in a city (or suburb) and glide down safely (lets use military standards as our bare minimum here -- it counts if they get to the ground rather quickly so long as they aren't getting severely injured).

For the attachments, imagine you are trying to turn one into the other...[/ATTACH] becomes View attachment 58705

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What you are asking isn't possible.

4. May 13, 2013 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I loved Rocky the Flying Squirrel too, but I eventually grew up to realize that I couldn't be him.

By the bye, you do realize that you can't land in a wingsuit, right? You need a parachute.

5. May 13, 2013 #4
    Why is it not possible? The purpose is to mentally work out what the engineering challenges would be, not to build one on a message board.

Also, at low altitude you can land.

6. May 13, 2013 #5

russ_watters

The issue is called "wing loading". The smaller the wings, the more lift per unit area they have to produce to keep you from crashing. The more lift needed per unit area, the faster you have to be moving to produce that lift. So that wingsuit might be able to level-off for a couple of seconds, but it will still be moving at probably 50 mph when it does. Too fast to land without killing the pilot in most landings.

7. May 13, 2013 #6

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Whig4life, Without the complete project details members are at a disadvantage and often begin to guess or speculate on the questioner's intentions. To obtain the maximum utility from a forum like Physics Forums it is useful to give as much information as possible.

Are you sure the proposed use of the "wing suit" project is possible? What analysis have you done? How can you know "at low altitude you can land"?

What specific "Military Standards" did you refer to?

Neither of the two links in your opening post functioned when I tried them. How can one "imagine turning one into another" with nothing?

8. May 13, 2013 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah, they both gave me blank grey pages as well.

9. May 13, 2013 #8

berkeman

Wingsuits have come a long way in the last few years, but are pretty optimized now. And you land with an aerobatic parachute. Exactly what are you trying to do beyond the state of the art in wingsuits?

10. May 15, 2013 #9

mheslep

Gold Member

11. May 15, 2013 #10

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

12. May 15, 2013 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Well, that's okay if you want to lug around a couple of thousand cubic metres of cardboard boxes, but it seems to me that such a thing somewhat detracts from the freedom factor of just gliding off of a building. It would make more sense to carry an on-board air bag, but even that wouldn't be any better than a 'chute.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook