Engineering/commerce vs engineering and MBA later on

In summary, the discussion revolved around the pros and cons of pursuing a double degree in engineering and management/business. The speaker and a grad student both agreed that a proper engineering degree is often viewed as stronger and more valuable, while degrees with a business component are seen as weaker and may water down the engineering component. The option of pursuing an MBA later was also mentioned. The speaker also mentioned how at their desired university, a double degree would take longer due to the need to take elective courses from other faculties, which may not be necessary for the degree. The other person argued that this would result in a longer time before earning a wage, making it a waste of time and money.
kr73114
Yeh, so which one do you think is better?

Physics news on Phys.org
A proper engineering degree, as engineering degrees with management/business/whatever are often viewed as weaker and water down.

MBA later. I was having this discussion with a grad student at my uni, not so long ago.
I've been in the BEng/BComm course and he did the same course. I was discussing my growing dislike towards the business component, and he concurred, saying in hindsight, he would definitely go for just an Engineering major, with perhaps the MBA at some stage.

Shaun_W said:
A proper engineering degree, as engineering degrees with management/business/whatever are often viewed as weaker and water down.

At the uni I want to go in it just takes longer. Nothing is watered down because in that uni you need to take elective courses from other faculties. Under this double degree you don't need to take electives, which are not needed in the degree anyway.

kr73114 said:
At the uni I want to go in it just takes longer. Nothing is watered down because in that uni you need to take elective courses from other faculties. Under this double degree you don't need to take electives, which are not needed in the degree anyway.

Okay. So it takes longer, which means that you have to spend more time studying before you can graduate, which means it takes longer for you to get a wage. It's a waste of time. You'd be far better off graduating sooner and earning a wage than paying more to stay in university.

Shaun_W said:
Okay. So it takes longer, which means that you have to spend more time studying before you can graduate, which means it takes longer for you to get a wage. It's a waste of time. You'd be far better off graduating sooner and earning a wage than paying more to stay in university.

fair enough

1. What is the difference between studying engineering/commerce and engineering and MBA later on?

Engineering/commerce refers to a dual degree program where a student can study both engineering and commerce subjects simultaneously. This allows students to gain knowledge and skills in both fields. On the other hand, studying engineering and MBA later on means completing a bachelor's degree in engineering and then pursuing a Master's in Business Administration (MBA). This allows students to specialize in business and management after gaining a strong foundation in engineering.

2. Which option is better for career prospects?

Both options have their own advantages and it ultimately depends on an individual's career goals. Studying engineering/commerce can open up opportunities in both engineering and business fields, while pursuing engineering and MBA later on can lead to higher management positions in engineering companies or the option to work in other industries such as finance, consulting, or entrepreneurship.

3. Will studying both engineering and commerce be more challenging?

Yes, studying both engineering and commerce can be more challenging due to the workload of two different fields. However, it can also be a fulfilling and rewarding experience for those who are interested in both areas and are willing to put in the effort.

4. Can I switch from one option to the other during my studies?

It is possible to switch from one option to the other, but it will depend on the specific program and university. Some universities may allow students to switch between programs, while others may have specific requirements or limitations.

5. Which option is more expensive?

The cost of studying engineering/commerce and engineering and MBA later on will vary depending on the university and program. Generally, pursuing a dual degree program may be more expensive as it involves studying for two degrees, while pursuing a Master's after a bachelor's degree may be more cost-effective. However, it is important to consider the long-term career prospects and potential salary differences when making a decision.