Engineering help - Right for me?

• Thread starter blacksheep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation discusses a person's interest in pursuing a degree in engineering or science and specifically in civil engineering. They express concerns about the type of work and whether they would be good at it. They ask for recommendations for books or websites to learn more about the field before making a decision. Another thread mentions the IEEE website for information on electrical engineering and the various societies within it. The conversation also touches on the different areas of civil engineering, such as structures, transportation, water resources, and geotechnical. It is mentioned that many civil engineers work on group projects, learn autocad, and focus on management and professional practice. There is also a mention of the construction and environmental engineering concentrations within civil engineering. A website is recommended for
blacksheep
Hi

I have a problem that I hope I can get some advice on. I have been looking at doing a degree for a while and took a careers test a little while ago, and the results were that I would be suited for Engineering or science. So I started to look at degrees in these areas. I came across Civil Engineering, and thought it may be a good idea. The problem is that I don't really have any idea of the type of work the degree would involve, or if I would be any good at it/like it.

Is there any books I could read to introduce me to the basics and principles before I make a decision? Or even any web sites that have basic info? I don't know what I should be looking for, and it is really confusing seeing some of the sites that seem really advanced. I don't know where to start. If anyone could assist, or offer any advice it would be awesome.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
From another thread:

Astronuc said:
If one is interested in Electrical Engineering, then please visit the IEEE website to get an idea of what choices are available.

IEEE Societies/Specialties
http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/societies/index.html?WT.mc_id=hpwd_societies

Communications Society
Components, Packaging & Manufacturing Technology Society
Computational Intelligence Society
Computer Society
Consumer Electronics Society
Control Systems Society
Dielectrics & Electrical Insulation Society
Education Society
Electromagnetic Compatibility Society
Electron Devices Society
Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society
Geoscience & Remote Sensing Society
Industrial Electronics Society
Industry Applications Society
Information Theory Society
Microwave Theory & Techniques Society
Nuclear & Plasma Sciences Society
Oceanic Engineering Society
Power Electronics Society
Power Engineering Society
Product Safety Engineering Society
Professional Communication Society
Reliability Society
Robotics and Automation Society
Signal Processing Society
Society on Social Implications of Technology
Solid-State Circuits Society
Systems, Man & Cybernetics Society
Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics & Frequency Control Society
Vehicular Technology Society

Each society has website within IEEE.As for EE vs Physics, one could do both or major in EE and minor in physics. One approach would be to sample EE curricula at different universities and similarly sample the Physics curricula at the corresponding institutions. Make a plan/outline of what one might do in a 4-yr program.

civil engineering is divided into four undergraduate topics:

structures:
-solid mechanics, steel and concrete structure design, basically working with stress, strain, bending moments, etc. to build safe structures

transportation:
- A more qualitative area on the standards and design principles for roads, highways, railways, ports, airports

water resources:
-hydrodynamics as applied to urban water systems. ground and surface water flow, water quality and treatment

geotechnical:
-soils and foundations

Most civil engineers are there because they like buildings, bridges, etc. Expect to work on group design projects, learn autocad, and learn management/professional practice.

In addition to what ekrim mentioned, there's also construction (which is my concentration). Some colleges have it as part of the civil engineering department, some have it as their own major. In any case, plenty of civil engineers end up working professionally for contractors. The construction concentration focuses on the methods of construction as well as the management of construction projects.

Also, there's environmental engineering (which is also usually part of the civil engineering department). It involves water treatment plants, removing pollutants from the atmosphere, etc.

A very good site about careers in engineering: http://www.careercornerstone.org/civileng/civileng.htm

FAQ: Engineering help - Right for me?

1. What is engineering help and why do I need it?

Engineering help refers to the assistance provided by experienced engineers in solving complex problems related to design, construction, and maintenance of structures, systems, and processes. Engineering help is essential for individuals or companies who lack the expertise or resources to tackle these problems on their own.

2. How can engineering help benefit my project or business?

Engineering help can provide valuable insights, expertise, and guidance in solving technical challenges and improving the overall efficiency and effectiveness of your project or business. With the help of engineers, you can ensure that your project or business meets industry standards and regulations, and is completed within the set timeline and budget.

3. What types of engineering help are available?

There are various types of engineering help available, such as structural engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, and more. Each type of engineering help specializes in different areas and can offer unique solutions to specific problems. It is important to choose the right type of engineering help based on your specific needs.

4. How do I know if engineering help is right for me?

If you are facing technical challenges or require expertise in a specific area of engineering, then engineering help is likely right for you. It is important to research and assess your needs carefully before seeking engineering help to ensure that the assistance you receive is the best fit for your project or business.

5. How can I find reliable engineering help?

You can find reliable engineering help by researching and comparing different engineering firms or individual engineers. Look for their experience, qualifications, and track record of successful projects. Additionally, you can ask for recommendations from colleagues or industry professionals who have worked with engineers before. It is also important to communicate openly and clearly with potential engineering help to ensure that they understand your needs and can provide the necessary assistance.

Back