Engineering Materials - Ramberg Osgood Parameters Help

In summary, the speaker is working on a material characterisation project involving 304 stainless steel and has performed a standard tensile test on several specimens. They are now seeking help in relating their stress-strain curves to the Ramberg-Osgood material model in order to determine the parameters of the equation. They mention being unfamiliar with this process and are looking for any assistance or resources.
junglep
I am currently doing a material characterisation project and have performed a standard tensile test on a number of 304 stainless steel specimens.

I have obtained a number of stress-strain curves from the testing and have been told I need to relate them to the Ramberg-Osgood material model in order to determine the parameters of the R-O equation. I really have no idea how to do this that doesn't involve guess and check. Does anyone have any experience in this field, any help would be great!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

What are Ramberg Osgood parameters?

Ramberg Osgood parameters are material constants used in the Ramberg-Osgood stress-strain relationship, which is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of materials under large plastic deformations.

How do Ramberg Osgood parameters help in engineering materials?

Ramberg Osgood parameters help in engineering materials by allowing engineers to predict the behavior of materials under large plastic deformations, which is essential in designing structures and components that can withstand high stresses.

How are Ramberg Osgood parameters determined?

Ramberg Osgood parameters are determined through experimental testing, where the material is subjected to different levels of stress and strain and the resulting data is used to calculate the parameters.

What factors affect the values of Ramberg Osgood parameters?

The values of Ramberg Osgood parameters can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, its microstructure, temperature, and loading conditions.

How accurate are the predictions made using Ramberg Osgood parameters?

The accuracy of predictions made using Ramberg Osgood parameters depends on the quality and quantity of experimental data used to determine the parameters. Generally, the predictions are accurate for materials that exhibit a linear relationship between stress and strain, but may not be as accurate for materials with more complex behaviors.