Engineering MS with a bachelors in business?

In summary: I don't think one should be hasty when studying engineering or science. The natures of engineering/science and BA are completely different, according to some of my father's friends who used to be engineers and now are managers. You can speed up and skip a lot, and if you're truly good at passing, you can graduate, but that is at a price when you go to industry competing with other professional engineers.
whiteg
Hello two years ago I graduated from a private college in missouri with a bachelors in business administration. One year before I graduated I was 100% sure I wanted to go back and get a bachelors degree in engineering. I am now one semester away from getting an associate in engineering from a community college in kansas city. I am wondering if going straight into a masters engineering program from here would be a good idea or not. I intend to go into environmental engineering. Eventually consulting. Would this be a good idea or would i be setting myself up for failure? Any comments are much appreciated. Again, I will complete my associate in engineering one semester from now. An associates in engineering includes all math classes including calculus 3 and differential EQ, statics, dynamics, circuit theory, thermodynamics, and strength of materials. So I will have had all of these courses. How possible and practical is it to go for a masters in environmental engineering from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually the prerequisite for an graduate or MS program is a 4-year engineering degree from an accredited engineering program. The 3rd and 4th year core courses usually involve some specialization in the particular engineering discipline. A MS program provides more advanced courses and guided research in a particular aspect of the engineering discipline.

I understand that. I am wondering if going straight into a masters program from here would be a disservice to myself. I am asking to know if it would be a good idea or not and rather I would be able to understand what is going on. I intend to get a masters in environmental engineering.

The university you try to get your masters in will probably have you take a lot of undergraduate courses. If you aren't prepared, they aren't going to let you jump into graduate courses so that you can crash and burn (at least I'd hope not...).

In an undergraduate engineering program, the junior and senior years are very rigorous, and for most people, very difficult. A masters program picks up where the undergraduate classes leave off and expands deeper into the concepts learned as an undergrad. Without the undergraduate background, a masters program would be very difficult, if not impossible. You would have to take undergraduate classes to get yourself up to speed.

If you don't want to do that, another option would be like a masters in engineering management. Its more business focused and doesn't delve as much into math and science.

I don't really think you'd be taken seriously.

My professor at first got his bachelor degree in economics, and then spent another 10 years before obtaining his next bachelor degree in electrical engineering. And now, he is an expert in medical realm of electrical engineering.
I think one shouldn't be hasty when studying engineering or science. The natures of engineering/science and BA are completely different, according to some of my father's friends who used to be engineers and now are managers. You can speed up and skip a lot, and if you're truly good at passing, you can graduate, but that is at a price when you go to industry competing with other professional engineers. That 10 years of my professor does pay off.

1. What is an Engineering MS program with a bachelors in business?

An Engineering MS program with a bachelors in business is a graduate program that combines engineering and business courses to provide students with a well-rounded education in both fields. It is designed for students who have a bachelor's degree in business but want to pursue a career in engineering.

2. What are the admission requirements for an Engineering MS program with a bachelors in business?

The admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but typically, a student must have a bachelor's degree in business or a related field, a minimum GPA of 3.0, and competitive scores on the GRE or GMAT exams. Some programs may also require prerequisite courses in math and science.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing an Engineering MS with a bachelors in business?

There are several benefits to pursuing an Engineering MS with a bachelors in business. Firstly, it allows students to combine their knowledge of business and engineering, making them more competitive in the job market. It also opens up career opportunities in fields such as project management, consulting, and entrepreneurship. Additionally, students in this program may have access to a wider range of job opportunities and potentially higher salaries.

4. Can I pursue an Engineering MS with a bachelors in business if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an Engineering MS with a bachelors in business even if your undergraduate degree is in a different field. However, you may be required to take prerequisite courses in math and science to ensure you have the necessary foundation for the program. It is always best to check with the specific program you are interested in to determine their specific requirements.

5. What is the career outlook for graduates of an Engineering MS program with a bachelors in business?

The career outlook for graduates of an Engineering MS program with a bachelors in business is promising. With a combination of technical and business skills, graduates may have opportunities in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, construction, and technology. They may also have the potential to advance into leadership positions such as project managers or engineering managers. The demand for individuals with both engineering and business knowledge is expected to increase in the coming years, making this a valuable degree to have.