Engineering PhD - everything should be decent but the GPA

In summary: It won't help you. Engineering depts. have so few people the PGRE score (because it's optional) so they have no idea how to account for it. I'm just thinking practically, the PGRE + some extra score reports could mean $ and time better spend on research, classes, etc.But if you're applying to physics programs as well, then yeah take the PGRE but be warned that it is weighed heavily compared to how engineering schools weigh the GRE.
safkjldfk
I have great research experience, letter writers, GRE scores, and have ideas for a good SOP, but I have a GPA of 3.3 in engineering. Is it still worth it to try to get into decent programs (read: Top 30), or should I just give up and head for the industry? Whenever people talk about GPA vs. research for PhD admissions, I'm getting mixed messages about it, so I want to get a clear answer on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
safkjldfk said:
I have great research experience, letter writers, GRE scores, and have ideas for a good SOP, but I have a GPA of 3.3 in engineering. Is it still worth it to try to get into decent programs (read: Top 30), or should I just give up and head for the industry? Whenever people talk about GPA vs. research for PhD admissions, I'm getting mixed messages about it, so I want to get a clear answer on this.

I got into a top 30 PhD program with similar stats. (slightly better gpa but probably worse gre scores)

Physics_UG said:
I got into a top 30 PhD program with similar stats. (slightly better gpa but probably worse gre scores)

Thanks.

I'm planning to take Chemistry and maybe Physics Subject GRE tests as well to see if they can make up for the GPA. No engineering programs seem to require subject GRE tests, but since engineering involves a lot of those things, I thought it might be helpful to take them and show that I know the material despite what the transcripts might say. What do you think?

Also, how much of a shot do I have at fellowships like NSF?

safkjldfk said:
Thanks.

I'm planning to take Chemistry and maybe Physics Subject GRE tests as well to see if they can make up for the GPA. No engineering programs seem to require subject GRE tests, but since engineering involves a lot of those things, I thought it might be helpful to take them and show that I know the material despite what the transcripts might say. What do you think?

Also, how much of a shot do I have at fellowships like NSF?

I don't think chemistry and physics gre scores will matter much.

Not sure about the fellowship, to be honest.

Also, I believe engineering PhD programs are less competitive than pure science PhD programs.

Don't take PGRE, it can only hurt you. I learned that the hard way.

Fusiontron said:
Don't take PGRE, it can only hurt you. I learned that the hard way.

If you apply to colleges which require the PGRE and you don't take it, then they just toss your application in the garbage as incomplete.

micromass said:
If you apply to colleges which require the PGRE and you don't take it, then they just toss your application in the garbage as incomplete.
He's doing an engineering PHD which only requires the GRE. So again, don't take PGRE. Waste of time, money, and can only hurt your application.

Fusiontron said:
He's doing an engineering PHD which only requires the GRE. So again, don't take PGRE. Waste of time, money, and can only hurt your application.

Even if I do well?

My purpose in doing Chemistry and Physics GRE is to supplement my application and hopefully let them know that I'm not as stupid as my GPA might make me seem.

And who knows, I might end up applying to straight up physics programs as well, since there seems to be a lot of overlap with materials science and physics at the grad level.

safkjldfk said:
Even if I do well?

My purpose in doing Chemistry and Physics GRE is to supplement my application and hopefully let them know that I'm not as stupid as my GPA might make me seem.

And who knows, I might end up applying to straight up physics programs as well, since there seems to be a lot of overlap with materials science and physics at the grad level.

It won't help you. Engineering depts. have so few people the PGRE score (because it's optional) so they have no idea how to account for it. I'm just thinking practically, the PGRE + some extra score reports could mean $ and time better spend on research, classes, etc.

But if you're applying to physics programs as well, then yeah take the PGRE but be warned that it is weighed heavily compared to how engineering schools weigh the GRE.

Last edited:
Get a job and decide what you really want to do, pay of your debts and get your employer to pay for a graduate degree if that's what you decide to do.

What is the typical GPA requirement for an Engineering PhD program?

The typical GPA requirement for an Engineering PhD program is a 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale. However, some programs may have a higher minimum GPA requirement. It is important to check with the specific program you are interested in for their specific requirements.

Will a lower GPA disqualify me from being accepted into an Engineering PhD program?

No, a lower GPA does not necessarily disqualify you from being accepted into an Engineering PhD program. Admissions committees also take into consideration other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. It is important to highlight your strengths in these areas to compensate for a lower GPA.

Can I still get a PhD in Engineering if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to still pursue a PhD in Engineering even if your undergraduate degree is in a different field. Many programs offer bridge or preparatory courses for students who come from a different academic background. It is important to highlight any relevant coursework or experience in engineering to strengthen your application.

How much research experience do I need to have for an Engineering PhD program?

The amount of research experience required for an Engineering PhD program varies among institutions. Some programs may require a certain number of research credits or a thesis project, while others may not have a specific requirement. It is important to check with the program you are interested in for their specific expectations.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting into an Engineering PhD program with a lower GPA?

If you have a lower GPA, there are several steps you can take to improve your chances of getting into an Engineering PhD program. Some options include taking additional coursework in engineering or related fields, obtaining strong letters of recommendation from professors or employers, and gaining relevant research experience through internships or volunteer opportunities. It is also important to thoroughly explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your GPA in your personal statement or application materials.