Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering question

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    Hi, I'm a grade 12 student aspiring to be a nanotechnology engineer.

I was wondering whether I need super strong math skills in that field. I'm good in math, but I'm not like sparkling brilliant in math. I get low~mid 90s on school, participate in math contests, etc, but I'm not the kind of person whose brains are wired mathematically.

I was wondering if an engineer needs to have strong mathematical talent. I'm relatively strong in physics, and pretty good in chemistry. (But I can't stand anything related to biology though)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2
    You don't have to be a genius in math to be an engineer, or anything for that matter. All you need is the dedication to learn what you need to know. Low-Mid 90s isn't bad at all?

4. Nov 13, 2007 #3
    Hard work, study groups, office hours, and mountains of time will get you through most college math courses. A knack for math never hurts, but you don't need to be some savant - just willing to put in however much work it takes to get things done. (The most important math ability for engineering is probably learning to take a real-world problem and simplify it to a mathematical model, otherwise knowing how to define and set up the problem.)

The physics and chemistry are strongly relevant. A lot of nanotech work is being done that applies to biological/medical topics, though...explain "can't stand"? (OTOH, plenty of it doesn't.)

5. Nov 13, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is always someone who knows more maths / gets maths / loves maths - than you.
    Don't worry - you need some maths obviously, but in physics and engineering hard work usually makes up for genius ( fortunately for the rest of us).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook