1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering question

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    Hi, I'm a grade 12 student aspiring to be a nanotechnology engineer.

I was wondering whether I need super strong math skills in that field. I'm good in math, but I'm not like sparkling brilliant in math. I get low~mid 90s on school, participate in math contests, etc, but I'm not the kind of person whose brains are wired mathematically.

I was wondering if an engineer needs to have strong mathematical talent. I'm relatively strong in physics, and pretty good in chemistry. (But I can't stand anything related to biology though)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2
    You don't have to be a genius in math to be an engineer, or anything for that matter. All you need is the dedication to learn what you need to know. Low-Mid 90s isn't bad at all?

4. Nov 13, 2007 #3
    Hard work, study groups, office hours, and mountains of time will get you through most college math courses. A knack for math never hurts, but you don't need to be some savant - just willing to put in however much work it takes to get things done. (The most important math ability for engineering is probably learning to take a real-world problem and simplify it to a mathematical model, otherwise knowing how to define and set up the problem.)

The physics and chemistry are strongly relevant. A lot of nanotech work is being done that applies to biological/medical topics, though...explain "can't stand"? (OTOH, plenty of it doesn't.)

5. Nov 13, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is always someone who knows more maths / gets maths / loves maths - than you.
    Don't worry - you need some maths obviously, but in physics and engineering hard work usually makes up for genius ( fortunately for the rest of us).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?