Bachelor of Engineering at UoA: Engineering Science or Mechanical?

In summary: I think Engineering Science is a great choice for someone who wants to specialize in a certain field. I would recommend specializing in Mechanical Engineering if you are interested in that area. In summary, Engineering Science is a great choice for someone who wants to specialize in a certain field and is interested in learning more about Operations Research and Continuum Mechanics.
donkey9
Hi there, next year I'm enrolling into Bachelor of Engineering in University of Auckland (New Zealand)!

I'm in the Accelerated Pathway program which means I skip the first year of General Engineering and go directly into a specialization.

I'm thinking of doing either Engineering Science (which is about Operations Research and Continuum Mechanics) or Mechanical Engineering. I prefer to do Engineering Science at the moment because it gives you the freedom to choose more variety of courses than Mechanical Engineering (which is really specialized). But I'd like to know more about what Operations Research and Continuum Mechanics are. I have searched online but I'd like to hear insights from people who have studied these core subjects.

Any advice on Mechanical Engineering is also welcome!

Thanks in advance to all!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello, anyone?

Engineering is a great choice. It gives you the background necessary for an advanced degree in other sciences.

Chronos said:
Engineering is a great choice. It gives you the background necessary for an advanced degree in other sciences.

Hello, thank you for the reply, by Engineering did you mean Engineering Science is a great choice? I also want to know what you really learn for Operations Research and Continuum Mechanics. I have a vague idea what they are but I need to know as much details as possible about my course before I get in because I don't want to regret my decision!

The only thing that might be worth looking at is can you become a licensed engineer with the Engineering Science degree. It may seem like a small thing, but in some places may limit what jobs you can work in.

I'm currently doing a Mechanical Engineering degree, and man I love it! I actually love doing the work for my degree, it's so interesting. Everything is just amazing, from material and fluid mechanics to thermodynamics, engineering mathematics, design and materials and manufacture. You really can't go wrong. However, I am slightly biased. :P

Ultimately you don't want to get a degree in Enginering Technology if you can get one in Mechanical,Civil, or Electrical Enginering. What choices do you have if you were to take Engineering Science now and then specialize next year? It is best now to take courses in statics, dynamics, electricity, fluids, and thermodynamic sciences, then you'll know better what field of engineering suits you best. And don't forget to take AutoCad or SolidWorks courses.

FAQ: Bachelor of Engineering at UoA: Engineering Science or Mechanical?

1. What is the difference between Engineering Science and Mechanical Engineering at UoA?

Engineering Science is a broad field that combines principles from various branches of engineering to solve real-world problems. It focuses on developing innovative solutions and designs using a multidisciplinary approach. On the other hand, Mechanical Engineering is a more specialized field that deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. It focuses on the study of motion, energy, and forces to create efficient machines and tools.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a Bachelor of Engineering in Engineering Science or Mechanical at UoA?

Both Engineering Science and Mechanical Engineering offer a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in research and development, design and analysis, project management, and consulting. Graduates can find employment in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, and manufacturing.

3. Can I switch between Engineering Science and Mechanical Engineering during my studies at UoA?

Yes, it is possible to switch between these two programs at UoA. However, it is recommended to make this decision early in your studies to ensure you meet all the necessary requirements. You may need to take additional courses or complete extra credits to meet the program's requirements.

4. What are the admission requirements for a Bachelor of Engineering in Engineering Science or Mechanical at UoA?

The admission requirements may vary depending on your educational background and the specific program you are applying for. Generally, you will need to have a high school diploma with strong grades in math, physics, and other science subjects. You may also be required to take an entrance exam and submit letters of recommendation and a personal statement.

5. What sets UoA's Bachelor of Engineering in Engineering Science or Mechanical apart from other universities?

UoA is known for its highly ranked engineering programs and its state-of-the-art facilities. The Bachelor of Engineering in Engineering Science and Mechanical programs at UoA also offer a unique blend of theoretical and practical learning, with hands-on experience through labs, projects, and internships. The university also has strong connections with industry partners, providing students with opportunities for real-world experience and networking.