1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Engineering Student with Interest in theoretical Physics

1. May 27, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am a junior in aerospace engineering student at Georgia Tech, and out of my boredom for the month that I have off I have begun to be interested in theoretical physics, I was wondering if there were some good books to read at my level. Of course with AE, there is a lot of physics but I wanted to start learning about relativity, quantum mechanics and things to that nature. I would just like some ideas on how to proceed and books you would recommend that I read!

Thanks,

Kishen

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2009 #2
    Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths is a good start

4. May 28, 2009 #3
    i particularly like Quantum Physics of atoms.... by eisberg and resnick because it starts off with the developments before the quantum theory, such as radiation and the photoelectric effect as well as quantum motivations like matter waves. As the above poster said, griffiths is also a good place to start, but it immediately starts by introducing the schrodinger equation as if its just some PDE to be solved and really gives no insight as to how it was formulated. Choose whatever approach suits you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook