Engineering Student with Interest in theoretical Physics

In summary, a junior aerospace engineering student at Georgia Tech is looking for book recommendations on theoretical physics, specifically relativity and quantum mechanics. Suggestions include Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths and Quantum Physics of Atoms by Eisberg and Resnick, with differing approaches to teaching the subject.
kraghunath
Hello everyone,

I am a junior in aerospace engineering student at Georgia Tech, and out of my boredom for the month that I have off I have begun to be interested in theoretical physics, I was wondering if there were some good books to read at my level. Of course with AE, there is a lot of physics but I wanted to start learning about relativity, quantum mechanics and things to that nature. I would just like some ideas on how to proceed and books you would recommend that I read!

Thanks,

Kishen

Physics news on Phys.org
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths is a good start

i particularly like Quantum Physics of atoms... by eisberg and resnick because it starts off with the developments before the quantum theory, such as radiation and the photoelectric effect as well as quantum motivations like matter waves. As the above poster said, griffiths is also a good place to start, but it immediately starts by introducing the schrodinger equation as if its just some PDE to be solved and really gives no insight as to how it was formulated. Choose whatever approach suits you.

1. What is the difference between engineering and theoretical physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and build structures, machines, and systems. Theoretical physics, on the other hand, is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe. While engineering focuses on practical applications, theoretical physics is more theoretical and abstract.

2. Can an engineering student pursue a career in theoretical physics?

Yes, an engineering student with a strong interest in theoretical physics can certainly pursue a career in this field. Many engineering students have a solid foundation in mathematics and physics, which are essential for understanding theoretical physics. It may require additional coursework and research experience, but it is certainly possible.

3. What skills are important for an engineering student interested in theoretical physics?

An engineering student with an interest in theoretical physics should have a strong background in mathematics, particularly calculus and differential equations. A solid understanding of physics principles and the ability to think critically and problem solve are also important skills. Additionally, having strong programming skills and the ability to work with complex data and models can be beneficial.

4. Are there any specific courses or programs that combine engineering and theoretical physics?

Yes, some universities offer joint or dual degree programs in engineering and theoretical physics. These programs typically require a rigorous curriculum that covers both fields and allows students to integrate their knowledge and skills. Additionally, many engineering programs offer courses in theoretical physics as electives.

5. What career opportunities are available for an engineering student with an interest in theoretical physics?

An engineering student with a strong background in theoretical physics can pursue a variety of career paths, including research positions in physics, engineering, or other related fields. They may also find opportunities in industries such as aerospace, defense, or energy, where knowledge of theoretical physics can be applied to practical problems. Additionally, they may choose to pursue graduate studies in theoretical physics or a related field.